stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
2 Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Station Naval Air Facility Adak (IATA: ADK, ICAO: PADK, FAA LID: ADK), was a United States Navy airport located west of Adak, on Adak Island in the U.S. state of Alaska. After its closure in 1997, it was reopened as Adak Airport. The facility was designated a National Historic Landmark for its role in World War II, although most of its elements from that period have been demolished or lie in ruins. 51.8816670,-176.6480560
Map
Roughly bounded by Cape Adagdak, Scabbard Bay, and Shagak Bay Adak Station AK
3 St. Alexander Nevsky Chapel St. Alexander Nevsky Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church chapel in Akutan, Alaska, United States. Now is Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 54.1333330,-165.7750000
Map
In Akutan Akutan AK
4 Temnac P-38G Lightning The Temnac P-38G Lightning is a historic military aircraft, now on display at Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson. It is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning, military serial number 42-13400, which entered service in the United States Army Air Forces at what was then known as Elmendorf Field in 1942, during World War II, and was assigned to the 54th Fighter Squadron. In January 1945 it was taken out on a training mission over the western Aleutian Islands by 2d Lt. Robert Nesmith. While flying low over the Temnac River valley on Attu Island, Nesmith experienced fluctuations in one of the engines, and was forced to put the aircraft down. He crash-landed the aircraft in the valley without injury to himself. 61.2483330,-149.8019440
Map
Address Restricted Aleutian Islands AK
5 Attu Battlefield and U.S. Army and Navy Airfields on Attu Attu (Aleut: Atan) is the westernmost and largest island in the Near Islands group of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska, and the westernmost point of land relative to Alaska. The island became uninhabited in 2010. 52.8905560,173.0747220
Map
Attu Island Aleutian Islands AK
6 Japanese Occupation Site, Kiska Island The Japanese Occupation Site on Kiska island (along with Attu Island) in the Rat Islands group of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska is where the Japanese Navy attacked and occupied United States territory during World War II. The Japanese built defenses and other infrastructure on the island before abandoning it in 1943 after losing the Battle of Attu. American and Canadian forces reoccupied the abandoned island, and departed the island in 1946. Now a part of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, the central portion of the island, where these military activities were concentrated, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. 51.9847220,177.5294440
Map
Kiska Island Aleutian Islands AK
7 Ananiuliak Island Archeological District Address Restricted Ananiuliak Island AK
8 Atka B-24D Liberator The Atka B-24D Liberator is a derelict bomber on Atka Island in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. The Consolidated B-24D Liberator was deliberately crash-landed on the island on 9 December 1942, and is one of only eight surviving D-model Liberators (including partial and derelict aircraft). The aircraft, serial no. 40-2367, was built in 1941, and was serving on weather reconnaissance duty when it was prevented from landing at any nearby airfields due to poor weather conditions. The only casualty of the crash landing was Brigadier General William E. Lynd, who suffered a fractured collarbone. Address Restricted Atka AK
9 Holy Resurrection Church The Holy Resurrection Church in Belkofski, Alaska is a historic Russian Orthodox church. 55.0869440,-162.0322220
Map
In Belkofski Belkofski AK
10 Cape Field at Fort Glenn (Umnak Island) Cape Field at Fort Glenn was a military site significant for its role in World War II. It consists of Fort Glenn, an airfield of the United States Army Air Corps later renamed Cape Air Force Base, and the adjacent Otter Point Naval Air Facility, both located on Umnak Island in the Aleutian Islands of southwestern Alaska. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987. 53.3772220,-167.8894440
Map
NE section of Umnak Island Fort Glenn AK
11 Chaluka Site The Chaluka Site is a prehistoric archaeological site and National Historic Landmark in Nikolski, Alaska, on Umnak Island in the Aleutian Islands of southwestern Alaska. The site documents more than 4,000 years of more-or-less continuous occupation of the area now occupied by the modern village of Nikolski. The site includes a large midden, yielding much information about the origins of the Aleut people. Address Restricted Nikolski AK
12 Anangula Archeological District The Anangula Site (also Anangula Archeological District and Ananiuliak Island Archeological District) is an archaeological site in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. Located on a 1.5 miles (2.4 km) long island off the western coast of Umnak Island, it lies 3.1 miles (5.0 km) north-northwest of Nikolski Bay. The site documents one of the earliest known human settlements in the Aleutian Islands, dating to c. 6400 BCE. It was in the 1970s believed to be a remnant of people thought to have migrated here across the land bridge from Asia. Address Restricted Nikolski AK
13 St. Nicholas Church St. Nicholas Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Nikolski, Alaska, which is located at the southern end of Umnak Island. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 52.9383330,-168.8616670
Map
In Nikolski Nikolski AK
14 St. John the Theologian Church The St. John the Theologian Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Perryville, Alaska, United States, that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America. 55.9116500,-159.1451500
Map
In Perryville Perryville AK
15 Port Moller Hot Springs Village Site The Port Moller Hot Springs Village Site is a prehistoric archeological site on the Alaska Peninsula. It is located on the shores of Moller Bay, an indentation on the peninsula with extensive tidal flats. Until historical times the area was a border region between the Aleut people and the Inuit people. The site is notable for the presence of a sulphurous hot spring, which provides drinkable water. The 50-acre (20 ha) site contains the remains of a native village and extensive refuse middens. The site was first excavated in 1928. Address Restricted Port Moller AK
16 Seal Island Historic District The Seal Island Historic District is a National Historic Landmark District located on the islands of St. George and St. Paul in the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea of Alaska. These islands are home to northern fur seal herds which were actively hunted by indigenous populations and later by many nationalities. These islands of the Pribilofs are also the southern end of the range of the polar bear, (Ursus maritimus) The North Pacific Fur Seal Convention of 1911 signed by the United Kingdom, Japan, Russia and the United States limited hunting of the seals on these islands; this international treaty was one of the first conservation treaties, and set the stage for subsequent treaties. 56.9077780,-170.0405560
Map
St. Paul and St. George Islands Pribilof Islands AK
17 St. Nicholas Chapel St. Nicholas Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox chapel in Sand Point, Alaska. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 55.3366670,-160.4975000
Map
In Sand Point Sand Point AK
18 St. George the Great Martyr Orthodox Church St. George the Great Martyr Orthodox Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church on St. George Island, Alaska. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 56.6019440,-169.5477780
Map
On St. George Island St. George Island AK
19 Sts. Peter and Paul Church Sts. Peter and Paul Church is a Russian Orthodox church on St. Paul Island, Alaska. The current church, built in 1907, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America. 57.1209000,-170.2809000
Map
On St. Paul Island St. Paul Island AK
20 Church of the Holy Ascension The Church of the Holy Ascension, also known as the Holy Ascension Orthodox Church, is a prominent landmark in Unalaska, the major community of the western Aleutian Islands in southwestern Alaska. The current church was built in 1894, probably on the site of an 1826 church, and likely using timbers and other elements (including one iconostasis) from the older church. It is one of the oldest churches in Alaska, and is significant as the site from which missionaries brought their religion to the local Aleut people. This evangelization effort was so successful that today's Aleut population is still strongly Orthodox. The church was declared a National Historic Landmark for its architecture, and for its role in the history and culture of Alaska. It is the second cathedral church of the Orthodox Church in America Diocese of Alaska, after St. Michael's Cathedral in Sitka (which is also a National Historic Landmark). 53.8755560,-166.5363890
Map
In Unalaska Unalaska AK
21 Sitka Spruce Plantation Sitka Spruce Park is a public park in the city of Unalaska, Alaska. The roughly 5-acre (2.0 ha) park is located on Biorka Drive on Amaknak Island, south of Unalaska Airport. It is one of the few places on the island where there are a significant number of trees. A small part of the park is a National Historic Landmark, as it was the site of the earliest documented afforestation in North America. In 1805, Russian agents planted an unknown number of Sitka spruce trees in the area, of which six were documented to be surviving in 1978. 53.8880560,-166.5444440
Map
N of Unalaska on Amaknak Island Unalaska AK
22 Dutch Harbor Naval Operating Base and Fort Mears, U.S. Army The Dutch Harbor Naval Operating Base and Fort Mears were the two military installations built next to each other in Dutch Harbor, on Amaknak Island of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, by the United States in response to the growing war threat with Imperial Japan. In 1938 the Navy Board recommended the construction which began in July 1940. The first army troops arrived in June 1941 and the navy air base was finished in September 1941. At the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, these were the only military installations in the Aleutian Islands. 53.8880560,-166.5419440
Map
Amaknak Island Unalaska AK
23 S.S. NORTHWESTERN Shipwreck Site The SS Northwestern, originally SS Oriziba, was a passenger and freight steamship launched in 1889 by the Delaware River Iron Ship Building and Engine Works, Chester, Pennsylvania which spent most of its career in service in the waters of the Territory of Alaska. The ship from early in its career had a reputation for trouble, and was frequently involved in groundings, collisions with other ships, and with port facilities. She first served as a transport in the West Indies as Oriziba, and was acquired by the Northwestern Steamship Company in 1906, sailed around Cape Horn, and renamed Northwestern. For the next thirty years she worked along the Alaska coast, transporting people, mail, and goods, as well as ore from mining operations at Kennecott. 53.8305560,-166.6102780
Map
Address Restricted Unalaska AK
24 Gill, Oscar, House The Oscar Gill House is a historic house at 1344 West Tenth Avenue in the South Addition neighborhood of Anchorage, Alaska. It is one of Anchorage's oldest buildings. It is a two-story wood frame structure, three bays wide, with a side gable roof. The bays are asymmetrically arranged, with a single-window bay on the right and a double-window bay on the left. The center bay is taken up by a projecting gable-roofed vestibule, in which the door is slightly off-center. The house's modest Craftsman style includes extended eaves with exposed rafter ends, and it has retained original interior flooring and woodwork. The house was built in 1913 by Oscar Gill in the (now ghost) town of Knik at the head of Knik Arm. When Anchorage was established in 1916, Gill had the house barged across the inlet, and it stood at 918 West Tenth Avenue for many decades. The house was removed from that site in 1982 to accommodate expansion of the Anchorage Pioneer Home, one of many historic houses throughout downtown Anchorage which fell victim to a real estate and building boom that intensified in 1982 and 1983. Unlike other similar structures, most of which spent years in storage on municipally-owned land but were eventually demolished, this house was spared. It sat on a vacant lot on P Street, across from the western end of the Delaney Park Strip, for approximately a decade and a half before being moved to its present location. The house has been operated as a bed and breakfast establishment since that time. 61.2125000,-149.9094440
Map
1344 W. 10th Ave. Anchorage AK
25 Civil Works Residential Dwellings The Civil Works Residential Dwellings, also known as the Brown's Point Cottages and Corps of Engineers Houses, are a pair of historic houses at 786 and 800 Delaney Street in Anchorage, Alaska. The two houses, mirror images of one another, are single-story wood frame structures with wide clapboard siding, a metal gable roof, and an attached single-car garage. Built in 1941 to house officers of the United States Army Corps of Engineers, they are among the least-altered of Anchorage's World War II-era military facilities. 61.2277780,-149.8888890
Map
786 and 800 Delaney St. Anchorage AK
26 McKinley Tower Apartments The McKinley Tower Apartments are a historic apartment skyscraper at 337 East Fourth Street in Anchorage, Alaska. Constructed as a 14-story HUD 604 apartment building, it was Anchorage's first high-rise building. It was designed in 1950 by Donald N. McDonald of Seattle, who also designed the Inlet Towers at the same time. It was later bought by Neil S. MacKay and converted into a state office building after it had sat for years following damage in the 1964 Alaska earthquake, to designs by Manley & Mayer of Anchorage. The state moved out in 1982, and it sat condemned by the city for failing fire codes. Bought in 1998 by Marc Marlow, it was later remodeled and brought up to code. 61.2188890,-149.8775000
Map
337 E. 4th Ave. Anchorage AK
27 Government Hill Federal Housing Historic District Coordinates: 61°13′50″N 149°52′28″W / 61.23056°N 149.87444°W / 61.23056; -149.87444 61.2286110,-149.8863890
Map
W. Harvard, Delaney & Brown Sts. Anchorage AK
28 Wireless Station, The The Wireless Station is a historic government telecommunications facility at East Manor and Boyd Streets in Anchorage, Alaska. The property includes three buildings (built in 1917, 1934, and 1949) that were used to maintain radio communications in the Anchorage area, with ships at sea, and as a communications link to Seattle, Washington as part of military WAMCATS telecommunications system. The three buildings are single-story frame structures with clapboard siding. The original 1917 building has a cupola, that when illuminated, originally served as a beacon for ships seeking to reach the Anchorage port. The station saw active service until the early 1950s, and have stood vacant since the 1990s. 61.2291670,-149.8813890
Map
124, 132, 140 E. Manor Ave. Anchorage AK
29 Anderson, Oscar, House The Oscar Anderson House Museum is a historical museum at 420 M Street in downtown Anchorage in the U.S. state of Alaska. Located in Elderberry Park, the structure was built in 1915 by early Anchorage resident Oscar Anderson. Anderson claimed to be the 18th person to set foot on what is now Anchorage. The structure was the first wood-frame house in Anchorage, and was occupied by Anderson until his death in 1974. The house was completely restored to a 1915 appearance between 1978 and 1982, and is now open as a historic house museum. 61.2186110,-149.9061110
Map
4th Ave. extended Anchorage AK
30 Beluga Point Site Beluga Point Site (49ANC-054) is an archaeological location along Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet, near Seward Highway Milepost 110, south of Anchorage, in the U.S. state of Alaska. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 30, 1978. 61.0052780,-149.6941670
Map
Address Restricted Anchorage AK
31 Federal Building--U.S. Courthouse The Old Federal Building in Anchorage, Alaska is a structure serving primarily as a courthouse of the United States District Court for the District of Alaska. Completed in stages from 1939 to 1941, the building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. 61.2188890,-149.8944440
Map
605 W. 4th Ave. Anchorage AK