stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
32 Campus Center The Atwood Campus Center is the student center of Alaska Pacific University in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a two-story square building 113 feet (34 m) on each side, elevated on a podium extending ten or more feet to each side. It is flanked by two residence halls, which, although also 25 feet (7.6 m) in height, have three stories. This complex was designed by Edward Durell Stone and built in 1966, when the school was known as Alaska Methodist University. This complex has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance as the site of a major 1971 conference of more than 600 Alaska Native representatives, at which they formally accepted the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, landmark legislation which fundamentally altered the handling of land ownership and use in the state, particularly with respect to native title, which had long clouded many real estate transfers. 61.1908330,-149.8041670
Map
University Drive Anchorage AK
33 Anchorage City Hall The Old Anchorage City Hall, also known as Historic City Hall, is located at 524 West Fourth Avenue in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a two-story cast concrete building, designed by E. Ellsworth Sedille and built in 1936 with funding from the Public Works Administration. It housed the city administration of the city until 1979, when most of the integrated city-borough administration was moved to the Hill Building at 632 West 6th Avenue. 61.2183330,-149.8925000
Map
524 W. 4th Ave. Anchorage AK
34 Eklutna Power Plant The Eklutna Power Plant, also referred to as Old Eklutna Power Plant, is a historic hydroelectric power plant on the Eklutna River in Anchorage, Alaska. Located about 5 miles (8.0 km) downstream of the more modern new Eklutna Power Plant, it was built in 1928-29 to provide electrical power to the growing city, and served as its primary power source until 1956. The facilities include two dams, a tunnel and penstock, and a powerhouse. The main dam, Eklutna Dam, located at the northwestern end of Eklutna Lake, was built in 1941 to replace a series of temporary structures built after an earthen dam failed before the plant began operation. The diversion dam, a concrete arch dam, is located 7 miles (11 km) downstream from the lake, and provides facilities for diverting water into the tunnel. The tunnel is 1,900 feet (580 m) long, and is terminated in a penstock, a structure designed to raise the water pressure. The powerhouse is a concrete-and-steel structure completed in 1929. 61.4583330,-149.3400000
Map
NE of Anchorage Anchorage AK
35 Pioneer School House In the 1914-1915 Anchorage's population grew quickly when workmen and their families moved to the area to work on building the Alaska Railroad. In 1915 Frederick Mears' wife, Jane Mears, organized the Anchorage Woman's Club specifically to facilitate establishing a school for the children of the workers. 61.2200000,-149.8755560
Map
3rd Ave. and Eagle St. Anchorage AK
36 Fourth Avenue Theatre (AHRS Site No. ANC-284) The Fourth Avenue Theatre, also known as the Lathrop Building, is a movie theater in Anchorage, Alaska that has been described as Art Deco, Streamline Moderne, and Art Moderne in style. Built beginning in 1941 and completed in 1947 after a halt during World War II, somewhat after the heyday of these styles, it was a large 960-seat first-run theater until the 1980s. 61.2183330,-149.8944440
Map
630 W. 4th Ave. Anchorage AK
37 Potter Section House The Potter Section House is a historic section house in Anchorage Borough, Alaska. It is located at Mile 115.3 of the Seward Highway and Mile 100.6 of the Alaska Railroad. It is a 1-1/2 story wood frame structure with a gable roof. The main facade has a center entrance flanked by sash windows, while the rear facade also has an entrance but only a single window. Built in 1929 to a slight variation from a standard plan, it is the last of four section houses to survive on the Anchorage stretch of the railroad. The building was used as housing for workers on the surround section of railroad until section-based maintenance was discontinued in 1978. It currently hosts the Chugach State Park headquarters. 61.0519440,-149.7969440
Map
Off AK 1 Anchorage AK
38 David, Leopold, House The Leopold David House is a historical building located at 605 West Second Avenue in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a 1-1/2 story bungalow-style house with a wooden frame structure. It features a front-gable roof and dormers. The front facade is divided into two sections: the left with a projecting bay section, and the right with a gabled porch. The roofs have deep eaves with Craftsman-style brackets. The house was built about 1917 for Leopold David (1878-1924), an early resident of Anchorage and its first mayor, elected in 1920. It is one of the best-preserved houses of the period in the city. 61.2208330,-149.8938890
Map
605 W. Second Ave. Anchorage AK
39 Kimball's Store Kimball's Store, also known as Kimball Building, was a historic retail establishment at 500 and 504 West 5th Avenue in downtown Anchorage, Alaska. The dry goods store operated at the same site from 1915 to 2002, and its two-story wood-frame building is the only commercial building to survive at its original location from the period of Anchorage's founding. The store was established by Irving L. Kimball, who had been trading in Arctic communities of Alaska since 1897, and was operated afterward by his daughter until her death in 2002. 61.2175000,-149.8916670
Map
500 and 504 W. Fifth Ave. Anchorage AK
40 KENI Radio Building The KENI Radio Building is an Art Moderne building in Anchorage, Alaska, designed by architect Augustine A. Porreca and completed in 1948. The building housed KENI AM, the second radio station in Anchorage. 61.2052780,-149.9252780
Map
1777 Forest Park Dr. Anchorage AK
41 Wendler Building The Wendler Building is a historic commercial building at 400 D Street in Anchorage, Alaska. Built in 1915 by Tony and Florence Wendler, it is the oldest commercial building in the city. Originally located at 4th and I Streets, it was moved to its present location in 1985. It was used by the Wendlers as a store until 1920, after which Florence Wendler converted it to a boarding house. In 1948 she and her daughters opened Club 25, an exclusive private club for women. It was eventually opened to general membership, and was for many years a landmark of the city's social scene. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. 61.2183330,-149.8897220
Map
400 D St. Anchorage AK
42 A. E. C. Cottage No. 23 The Alaska Engineering Commission Cottage No. 23, also known as DeLong Cottage, is an historic house at 618 Christensen Drive in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a 1-1/2 story wood frame structure, with a gable roof and porch extending across its front. It was designed and built in 1916 by the Alaska Engineering Commission (A.E.C.), the federal government project to build the Alaska Railroad. Of the surviving cottages built by the commission, it is the least-altered and best-preserved. 61.2200000,-149.8944440
Map
618 Christensen Dr. Anchorage AK
43 Anchorage Cemetery The Anchorage Memorial Park, also known as Anchorage Cemetery, is a 22-acre (89,000 m2) cemetery located in Anchorage, Alaska, USA. Covering nine city blocks, the cemetery separates the city's downtown and Fairview neighborhoods. 61.2150000,-149.8761110
Map
535 E. 9th Ave. Anchorage AK
44 Alaska Engineering Commission Cottage No. 25 The Alaska Engineering Commission Cottage No. 25 is a historic house at 345 West Third Avenue in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a two-story wood frame structure, with a low-pitch gable roof that has wide overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails. It was designed and built in 1917 by the Alaska Engineering Commission, a Federal agency charged with building railways in Alaska. It is one of the second set of such housing built by the commission, and is now owned by Anchorage Historic Properties. 61.2197220,-149.8952780
Map
645 W. Third Ave. Anchorage AK
45 Site Summit The Nike Site Summit (or just Site Summit) is a historic military installation of the United States Army in Anchorage Borough, Alaska. The site, located in the Chugach Mountains overlooking Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson, is the location of one of the best-preserved surviving Nike-Hercules missile installations in the state. The site's structures include a battery control area, a missile launch area, and several magazines. Units of the 43rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, USARAL Artillery Group, United States Army Alaska, would have garrisoned the site. The site was built in 1957-58 and equipped with missiles in 1959. The site was in active service defending the United States from the threat of Soviet air strikes until it was decommissioned in 1979, after which sensitive militarily equipment (including missiles, radar equipment, and launch control equipment) was removed. The U.S. Army maintained the site into the 1980s before abandoning it. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. A local non-profit group, Friends of Nike Site Summit, is actively attempting to preserve the site. 61.2519440,-149.5397220
Map
Off Arctic Valley Rd., 12.5 mi. E of Anchorage Anchorage AK
46 Loussac--Sogn Building The Loussac–Sogn Building is a historic commercial building at 429 D Street in downtown Anchorage, Alaska. It is a three-story Moderne-style building, with storefronts on the ground floor and offices above, with its long side extending along 5th Avenue, and its main entrance, on D Street. The based on the building up to the storefront windows is finished in green tile, while most of the building is finished in concrete. The main entrance has a polished stone surround. Built in 1947, it is one of the oldest surviving Moderne structures in the city, and was the largest office building in the city at its completion. It was planned by Zachariah J. Loussac and Dr. Harold Sogn as a small building to house Dr. Sogn's medical practice, but grew in the design to its more substantial form. 61.2177780,-149.8888890
Map
425 D St. Anchorage AK
47 Anchorage Hotel Annex The Anchorage Hotel is a hotel located at 330 E Street in Anchorage, Alaska. The original Anchorage Hotel building was built in 1916; the current hotel building, which was constructed as an annex to the hotel, opened in 1936. C.B. Wark built the first hotel building; while the building was originally a wood frame structure, Frank Reed upgraded the building to a luxury hotel in 1917. The hotel outgrew its original building due to Anchorage's growth in the 1930s, so the Anchorage Hotel Annex was built in 1936 to house additional guests. The annex, designed by E. Ellsworth Sedille, had a Gothic design and was one of the tallest buildings in Anchorage at the time. Guests at the hotel included Warren Harding, Harold L. Ickes, Walt Disney, Wiley Post, and Will Rogers; the latter two stayed at the hotel only two days prior to their deaths in a plane crash. In addition, artist Sidney Laurence lived in the hotel for parts of the 1920s and 1930s; Laurence once exchanged a painting of Mount McKinley for a year's rent at the hotel. 61.2188890,-149.8916670
Map
330 E St. Anchorage AK
48 Anchorage Depot Anchorage Depot, also known as Alaska Railroad Depot, is the railroad station at the center of the Alaska Railroad system at the junction of the two main lines their trains run on. It serves as the starting point for many tourists traveling on the luxury trains such as the Denali Star. The station is a Moderne-style three story concrete building, built in 1942 and enlarged in 1948. 61.2216670,-149.8905560
Map
411 W. First Ave. Anchorage AK
49 Spring Creek Lodge The Spring Creek Lodge is a historic former restaurant at 18389 Old Glenn Highway in the Chugiak area of Anchorage, Alaska. Vernon and Alma Haik built the Spring Creek Lodge in 1949. It served as an essential eatery and community center in southcentral Alaska from 1949 to 1974. The lodge was famous for its homemade bread and banana cream pies, and it was the place to go for a hearty Sunday dinner. For 25 years, the lodge served homesteaders, hunters from the Matanuska Valley, and military personnel from the Elmendorf Air Force Base and Fort Richardson in Anchorage. The lodge stands at Mile 20 on the two-lane Palmer Highway (now called Old Glenn Highway) halfway between Palmer and Anchorage. It also served as the first community center for the early settlers of Chugiak. On September 9, 2001, the Spring Creek Lodge was inducted to the National Register of Historic Places "in recognition of its contributions to the cultural heritage of Alaska." The restaurant was a local landmark until its location was bypassed by the new Glenn Highway in 1969, after which it closed. 61.3911110,-149.4675000
Map
18939 Old Glen Hwy. Chugiak AK
50 Old St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church Old St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, also known as the Eklutna Chapel, is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Eklutna, Alaska. It is about one mile inland from the Knik Arm of the Cook Inlet. 61.4605560,-149.3616670
Map
Eklutna Village Rd. Eklutna AK
51 Alex, Mike, Cabin The Mike Alex Cabin is a historic log cabin in Eklutna, Alaska. Located across from Eklutna's Russian Orthodox churches in the center of the community, it was built in 1925 for Mike Alex, the last traditional clan chieftain of the Athabaskan people in Eklutna. It consists of three sides of an originally square log structure, to which a log addition was made in the 1930s, removing one of the original four walls. The building was around that time also topped by a new gable roof. It is, along with the older church, a reminder of the people's history. 61.4602780,-149.3605560
Map
Off AK 1 Eklutna AK
52 Fort Richardson National Cemetery Bldg. 58-512, Davis Hwy. Fort Richardson AK
53 Mt. Alyeska Roundhouse Alyeska Resort is a ski resort in Girdwood, Alaska, approximately 27 miles (44 km) from the city of Anchorage. Mount Alyeska is part of the Chugach mountain range and the Alyeska Resort is the largest ski area in the state. It includes the mountaintop Mt. Alyeska Roundhouse, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 60.9616670,-149.0805560
Map
Approx. 2 mil W of Alyeska Girdwood AK
54 Crow Creek Consolidated Gold Mining Company Crow Creek is a stream in the Chugach Mountains, Alaska, US. It is the only notable tributary of Glacier Creek, which enters Turnagain Arm from the north, 12 miles (19 km) from its eastern end. The stream is notable as the site of ongoing gold mining since the late 19th century. 61.0002780,-149.0658330
Map
NE of Girdwood Girdwood AK
55 Indian Valley Mine The Indian Valley Mine is a historic quartz mine located at 27301 Seward Highway (mile marker 104) within the community of Indian in the Municipality of Anchorage, Alaska, between the main area of Anchorage and the city of Seward on the north shore of Turnagain Arm. The quartz vein was discovered in 1910 by Peter Strong, who had come to Alaska in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, and had previously staked a small gold claim in the area. Strong worked this claim through the 1920s and 1930s, building a cabin and an assay house that are the oldest known buildings in the Turnagain Arm region. Address Restricted Indian AK
56 First Mission House The First Mission House (First Mission House and Place of Worship; First Moravian Mission) is a historic church and mission house at 291 Third Avenue in Bethel, Alaska. The wood frame structure was the first to be built in Bethel, in 1885. It was designed by Hans Torgersen, one of the first group of Moravian missionaries sent to the area, but he died in a boating accident before it was built, and it was completed by two priests with no significant construction experience. Although the building received some alterations, it was restored to its early appearance in 1985. The building has been moved three times, primarily due to erosion caused by the Kuskokwim River. 60.7936110,-161.7677780
Map
291 Third Ave. Bethel AK
57 St. Sergius Chapel The St. Sergius Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Chuathbaluk, Alaska, United States, in the Bethel Census Area. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America. 61.5716670,-159.2438890
Map
In Chuathbaluk Chuathbaluk AK
58 St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church The St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church near Kwethluk, Alaska, United States, on the Lower Kuskokwim River. In 2017 it is part of the Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 60.8119440,-161.4375000
Map
Lower Kuskokim R. Kwethluk AK
59 Sts. Constantine and Helen Chapel The Sts. Constantine and Helen Chapel, in Lime Village, Alaska, United States, in the Bethel Census Area, is a historic Russian Orthodox church that was built in 1923. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 61.3552780,-155.4350000
Map
In Lime Village Lime Village AK
60 St. Seraphim Chapel The St. Seraphim Chapel, also known as the Old Church, is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Lower Kalskag, Alaska, United States, in Bethel Census Area, that may include a portion built in 1843, or it may have all been built later. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. 61.5138890,-160.3663890
Map
In Lower Kalskag Lower Kalskag AK
61 St. Jacob's Church St. Jacob's Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Napaskiak, Alaska, United States. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. 60.7066110,-161.7665830
Map
In Napaskiak Napaskiak AK