stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
62 Kolmakov Redoubt Site The Kolmakov Redoubt Site is a historic archaeological site on the Kuskokwim River in western Alaska. The site is located downriver from the hamlet of Sleetmute, about 21 miles east of Aniak. The site was the location of a major trading post, which was one of the only ones established deep in the Alaskan interior by the Russian-American Company. The first site established by the Russians, in 1832, was little more than a log cabin near the confluence of the Kuskokwim with the Aniak River, and was known as Kolmakov's Townlet, after the trader Fedor Kolmakov. The success of this location prompted the construction in 1833 of an "odinochka" (a small outpost staffed by 1-3 men) at the present location, near the confluence of the Kuskokwim and Kolmakof Rivers. At this site the Russians collected more than 1,400 beaver pelts in 1834, when their entire Alaska trade amounted to about 5,000. This facility was then upgraded to a "redoubt" (not a conventional military redoubt earthworks, but something more akin to a fortified trading post). The site was used until 1867, when American traders took over the fur trade following the Alaska Purchase. Address Restricted Sleetmute AK
63 DIL-161 Site The DIL-161 Site is a prehistoric archeological site in Katmai National Park and Preserve. Located on the banks of the Alagnak River, the site was first identified in 1997 by National Park Service personnel, and its extents were mapped in 2004. The site is that of a village that was occupied between about 300 BCE and 800 CE. More than 40 cabin sites, which are little more than house pits, have been identified. Address Restricted Alagnak Wild River AK
64 St. Nicholas Chapel St. Nicholas Chapel, also known as the Santa Claus Church, is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Ekuk, Alaska, United States. The small, single story wood frame building was constructed in 1918 or 1919, replacing an earlier church. When originally built it was 16 feet wide and 21 feet long, but the chamber was subsequently lengthened, and is now 34 feet long. If it were not for its modest exterior religious symbols, it might be mistaken for a rural schoolhouse. The church and its graveyeard are located on a bluff which is subject to extensive erosion of the coast and, being just 185 feet from the shoreline, could be endangered in the next 50-100 years. 58.7981500,-158.5510800
Map
In Ekuk Ekuk AK
65 Archeological Site 49 MK 10 Address Restricted Kanatak AK
66 Fure's Cabin Fure's Cabin is a historic 15-by-20-foot (4.6 m × 6.1 m) log cabin that was built in c.1926. It is located on a narrow isthmus, on the portage trail between Naknek Lake and Lake Grosvenor in Katmai National Park and Preserve on the Alaska Peninsula. Also known as Roy Fure's Trapping Cabin, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985; the listing included three contributing buildings (cabin, and a shed, and an outhouse) and one other contributing structure (a 27-foot (8.2 m) windmill tower). 58.6697220,-155.4311110
Map
Katmai National Park and Preserve King Salmon AK
67 Brooks River Archeological District The Brooks River Archaeological District encompasses a large complex of archaeological sites along the banks of the Brooks River in Katmai National Park and Preserve in the U.S. state of Alaska. It includes at least twenty separate settlement sites with documented occupation dates from 2500 BCE to recent (post-contact) history. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1993. The site is partly occupied by the Brooks Camp, one of the major visitor areas of the park. Address Restricted Naknek AK
68 Old Savonoski Site The Old Savonoski Site is the former site of a native village in Lake and Peninsula Borough, Alaska, that was buried by ash in the June 1912 eruption of the Novarupta Volcano. The site is located near the confluence of the Savonoski and Ukak Rivers, and is within the bounds of the Katmai National Park and Preserve. The site was visited by archaeologists in 1953, who identified a number of surviving elements, including fifteen barabaras, or semi-subterranean dwellings. Address Restricted Naknek AK
69 Savonoski River Archeological District The Savonoski River Archeological District encompasses a complex of prehistoric and historic archaeological sites on the Savonoski River near the mouth of the Grosvenor River in Katmai National Park and Preserve, located on the Alaska Peninsula of southwestern Alaska. At least two sites, designated 49-MK-3 and 49-MK-4 by state archaeologists, were identified when the site was listed in 1978. In 2003, the district was enlarge to include a third site, XMK-53. This area is believed to be the site of one of a group of Native Alaskan settlements referred to in Russian records as "Severnovsk". Excavations of a known prehistoric site in 1964 uncovered additional evidence of a post-contact settlement. Address Restricted Naknek AK
70 Kijik Historic District Kijik is a ghost town in Lake and Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States. An Athabascan village that was established on the shores of Lake Clark in the Alaska Range, its population was recorded at 91 in the 1880 United States Census and declined thereafter, falling to approximately 25 individuals by 1904. Today, the village has been abandoned. The ghost town is located within the bounds of Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. Address Restricted Nondalton AK
71 St. Nicholas Chapel The St. Nicholas Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church in the Alaska Native village of Nondalton, Alaska, United States. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 59.9732300,-154.8486600
Map
In Nondalton Nondalton AK
72 Kijik Archeological District Address Restricted Nondalton AK
73 Transfiguration of Our Lord Chapel The Transfiguration of Our Lord Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Nushagak, Alaska. This now-abandoned building was erected in 1904 and was the third Russian Orthodox church to be built, following earlier ones dating to the 1820s and 1860. Although this church has obvious Russian Orthodox features (most notably the onion dome atop the tower), it would not otherwise look out of place in a traditional New England village. 58.9464400,-158.4907400
Map
In Nushagak Nushagak AK
74 St. Nicholas Chapel The St. Nicholas Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Pedro Bay, Alaska, United States, that was built in 1890. 59.7853700,-154.1028700
Map
In Pedro Bay Pedro Bay AK
75 St. Nicholas Church The St. Nicholas Church in Pilot Point, Alaska, in Lake and Peninsula Borough, is a Russian Orthodox church whose historic building was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 57.5635200,-157.5801000
Map
In Pilot Point Pilot Point AK
76 Elevation of Holy Cross Church The Elevation of Holy Cross Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in South Naknek, Alaska. It is a small building, roughly similar in size to the 1886 St. John the Baptist Chapel in Naknek, prior to its 1914 enlargement. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 58.7155560,-157.0019440
Map
In South Naknek South Naknek AK
77 Aniakchak Bay Historic Landscape District Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve is a U.S. National Monument and National Preserve, consisting of the region around the Aniakchak volcano on the Aleutian Range of south-western Alaska. The 601,294-acre (243,335 ha) monument is one of the least-visited places in the National Park System due to its remote location and difficult weather. The area was proclaimed a National Monument on December 1, 1978, and established as a National Monument and Preserve on December 2, 1980. The National Monument encompasses 137,176 acres (55,513 ha) and the preserve 464,118 acres (187,822 ha). Visitation to Aniakchak is the lowest of all areas of the U.S. National Park System, according to the NPS, with only 100 documented recreational visits in 2017. Most visitors fly into Surprise Lake inside Aniakchak Crater, but the frequent fog and other adverse weather conditions make landing in the lake difficult. It is also possible to fly into the nearby village of Port Heiden and proceed overland to the Aniakchak Crater. 56.7583330,-157.5219440
Map
Surrounding the Aniakchak River from Aniakchak Crater to Aniakchak Bay, Aniakchak National Preserve Chignik AK
78 Pilgrim 100B Aircraft Pilgrim 100-B N709Y is one of a few surviving aircraft from the early days of aviation in the history of Alaska. It is a single-engine aircraft built in 1932 by the American Airplane & Engine Corporation, of a type where only 10 were produced. This aircraft, and others like it, were used in the early days of Alaskan aviation to transport mail, people, and supplies, to all corners of the territory. At the time of its listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, it was the last Pilgrim that was still flightworthy and was stationed in Dillingham Airport. It was acquired in 2001 by the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum, which moved it to its actual location and uses it as a flying exhibit. 61.1791670,-149.9730560
Map
Dillingham Municipal Airport Dillingham AK
79 St. Nicholas Chapel The St. Nicholas Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church in the native village of Igiugig, Alaska, United States. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 59.3270100,-155.8950800
Map
In Igiugig Igiugig AK
80 Kaguyak Village Site The Kaguyak Village Site, designated 49 Afg 4, is a historic and prehistoric archaeological site on the Pacific coast of the Alaska Peninsula in Katmai National Park and Preserve. It is the site of a Native village which was abandoned after the eruption of Novarupta in 1912. The historic elements of the site include the remains of a Russian Orthodox church and cemetery, as well as a number of frame house remnants and foundations. Address Restricted Kanatak AK
81 Takli Island Archeological District Takli Island is an island off the southern coast of the Alaska Peninsula in the Shelikov Strait of southwestern Alaska. It is located at the mouth of Amalik Bay, off the mainland portion of Kodiak Island Borough, in Katmai National Park and Preserve. The area was first archaeologically investigated in the 1960s, when the prehistory of the area was little known, and the island's sites are type sites for a series of archaeological cultures. Address Restricted Kanatak AK
82 Archeological Site 49 AF 3 Address Restricted Kanatak AK
83 Kukak Village Site The Kukak Village Site is a prehistoric and historic archaeological site, located on the shore of Kukak Bay, on the south coast of the Alaska Peninsula in Katmai National Park and Preserve. The area was documented to be occupied in the early 20th century, and was abandoned after the 1912 volcanic eruption of Novarupta. The Kukak Bay area is also of prehistoric significance, with researchers identifying 89 depressions as likely sites of subterranean houses (similar to barabaras), and a refuse midden. Address Restricted Kanatak AK
84 Amalik Bay Archeological District The Amalik Bay Archeological District is a geographic area with a significant number of archaeological sites in Alaska. It is located on the Pacific coast of Katmai National Park and Preserve, in the mainland portion of Kodiak Island Borough, Alaska. Katmai National Park and Preserve--Address Restricted King Salmon AK
85 Brooks Camp Boat House The Brooks Camp Boat House is a historic boathouse at Brooks Camp, a major visitor site in Katmai National Park and Preserve, located on the Alaska Peninsula of southwestern Alaska. The boat house is a simple rectangular log structure with large double-leaf door on the water side, and a door and window on the land side. It was built in 1959 by the National Park Service, and is the second building built in the park by the Park Service. It is used as a ranger station. 58.5566670,-155.7786110
Map
Shore of Naknek Lake, just N. of the Brooks River Mouth in Katmai National Park and Preserve King Salmon AK
86 Brooks River Historic Ranger Station The Brooks River Historic Ranger Station is a log structure located at Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park and Preserve, located on the Alaska Peninsula of southwestern Alaska. It is a single-story building, made out of peeled logs felled in 1954 and assembled in 1955. The building was the first structure built by the National Park Service in Katmai National Park. It was built in part to oversee the growing Brooks Camp facility, which had been built over time by tourism concessionaires. 58.5561110,-155.7783330
Map
Shore of Naknek Lake, just N. of the Brooks River Mouth in Katmai National Park and Preserve King Salmon AK
87 Walrus Islands Archeological District The Walrus Islands (Russian: Моржовые острова) are a group of craggy coastal islands in the Bering Sea, close to the northern shores of Bristol Bay, Alaska at the entrance to Togiak Bay. They are located 18 km to the east of Hagemeister Island, and are protected as the Walrus Islands State Game Sanctuary by the state. A part of the island group is also of archaeological importance, with numerous deeply stratified sites covering 6,000 years of human use. For this reason, Crooked Island, Summit Island and Round Island were designated the Walrus Islands Archeological District, a National Historic Landmark District comprising 14 historical sites, in December 2016. Address Restricted Togiak AK
88 Walrus Islands Archeological District Address Restricted Togiak AK
89 Chatanika Gold Camp The Chatanika Gold Camp is a historic gold mining camp at Mile 27¾ of the Steese Highway in Chatanika, Alaska. The camp is set on about 49 acres (20 ha) overlooking Cleary Creek, and consists of thirteen buildings as well as a scattering of old mining tools and equipment. The largest of the buildings are two bunkhouses, finished in corrugated metal. The camp was built in 1925 by the Fairbanks Exploration Company (FEC), which also dug the nearby Davidson Ditch to supply water for the operation of the gold dredges. The Chatanika Camp was the largest of the FEC's mining camps in the Fairbanks area. Five of the surviving buildings date to the initial construction period. 65.1116670,-147.4802780
Map
Mile 27 3/4, Steese Hwy. Chatanika AK
90 Rainey's Cabin Rainey-Skarland Cabin, also known as Rainey's Cabin, Skarland's Cabin and Ivar's Cabin, is a historic log cabin on the campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks in College, Alaska. A single-story three-room log structure with massive stone fireplace on one gable end, it is used today as extended lodging for a permanent or visiting anthropology faculty member or student. 64.8588890,-147.8316670
Map
University of Alaska campus College AK
91 Ester Camp Historic District Ester is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States. It is part of the Fairbanks, Alaska Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population in the CDP was 2,422 at the 2010 census, although there are only about a dozen homes in the village itself. The Ester Camp Historic District is a historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Ester was founded as a gold mining camp in the early 1900s, and the economy has focused on mining and services for miners. The Ester Community Association was founded in 1941, and continues to work for the welfare of the community, e.g. establishing and maintaining the Ester Community Park and sponsoring an annual Fourth of July parade. There are several small businesses in Ester, including two saloons, a publishing house, a jewelry maker, hand crafted soap maker, and local artisans. The Ester Volunteer Fire Department, John Trigg Ester Library, Ester Historic Society, and Ester Post Office serve residents in Ester and surrounding areas. There is also a convenience store and secular chapel on the outskirts of the village. Many artists, writers, and musicians reside in Ester, and the local art and music scene has thrived for many years. 64.8466670,-148.0194440
Map
Off AK 3 Ester AK