stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
93722 Corydon Brown House The Corydon Brown House is a house in Dakota City, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 14, 1978. Corydon Brown, the former owner of the house, was a miller, and the house was a social hub for many years. 42.7244440,-94.1908330
Map
93723 Forest City Public Library The former Forest City Public Library was a historic building located in Forest City, Iowa, United States. It was one of two libraries in Iowa that were built with public money during the formative period of Iowa library development. The other was in Des Moines. The library here was built almost entirely with donations from the citizens of Forest City, with the rest coming from city funds. The Romanesque Revival structure was completed in 1899 and served Forest City as its library until 1927 when another facility was built. This building was then converted into commercial space. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The building has subsequently been torn down, and it was removed from the National Register in 2016. 43.2655560,-93.6375000
Map
93724 James and Ella Truitt House The James and Ella Truitt House, located at 305 N. Steuben Ave. in Chanute, Kansas, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014. 37.6846267,-95.4568365
Map
93725 IOOF Lodge (Alton, Kansas) The IOOF Lodge in Alton, Kansas was built in 1885. It served historically as a business and as a meeting hall. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. 39.4558330,-98.9480560
Map
93726 Ross Grain Elevator The Ross Grain Elevator is a historic building located in Ross, Iowa, United States. It was built in 1881 by Charles Stuart, a Civil War veteran who was a forwarding agent for the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. The wooden structure rests on a limestone foundation. By the early 20th century the elevator was sheathed in corrigated steel to guard against the sparks that came off of the locomotives at the nearby depot, no longer extant. The elevator is made up of three interconnected buildings that include the elevator itself, an annex, and the brick scale-engine house. At one time the property contained two grain elevators, a depot, stock yards, cob houses, town dump, coal shed and other related structures. The railroad discontinued operations here in the 1940s, and the other buildings were removed over the years. The elevator itself was used on a farm into the 1970s. It has not been used since then, but its internal mechanisms are still extant. The elevator was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 41.7737000,-94.9221000
Map
93727 Boone Bridge (Boone, Iowa) The Boone Bridge was located southwest of Boone, Iowa, United States. It spanned the Des Moines River for 647 feet (197 m). The area in which this bridge was built was a pivotal transportation corridor in the early 20th century. The Chicago and North Western Railroad built the Boone Viaduct upstream from this location in 1901. It was the world's longest two-track viaduct. The county built a pin-connected truss bridge to carry a county road over the river just downstream from this location in 1909. In 1913 it was chosen as part of the route of the Lincoln Highway, the nation's first transcontinental highway. Because of its narrow width of only 16 feet (4.9 m) and an increase in traffic, a new bridge was required. The Iowa State Highway Commission designed this bridge in 1927. It was composed of two riveted Pratt and two Parker through trusses. The contract to build the structure was awarded in November 1927 to the A. Olson Construction Company of Waterloo, Iowa for $77,900. It was completed later in 1928. The bridge carried U.S. Route 30 traffic until it was rerouted to the south. It carried a county road until it was replaced in the early 21st century, and dismantled. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. 42.0422220,-93.9333330
Map
93728 Third Street Bridge (Waverly, Iowa) The Third Street Bridge, also known as the Brookwood Park Bridge and the Harmon Street Bridge, is a historic structure located in Waverly, Iowa, United States. It spans the Cedar River for 363 feet (111 m). This Riveted Pratt through truss was designed by the Iowa State Highway Commission and constructed by the Illinois Steel Bridge Company of Jacksonville, Illinois in 1917. It is composed of three spans. The truss' were painted green in 1962, and the bridge received major renovations in 1983. It was closed to traffic in February 2015 "after a certified inspector examining the bridge Friday for an annual inspection found the trusses connecting bearings, sidewalk support brackets, and two stringers in the south bridge span have severely corroded." It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. The Third Street Bridge is one of three bridges installed by the Illinois Steel Bridge Company that is still standing in Iowa. 42.7208000,-92.4669000
Map
93729 Elmwood-St. Joseph Municipal Cemetery Historic District Elmwood-St. Joseph Municipal Cemetery is located in Mason City, Iowa, United States. It was listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 43.1396380,-93.2048650
Map
93730 Russell Octagon House Coordinates: 40°43′N 92°34′W / 40.72°N 92.56°W / 40.72; -92.56 40.7200000,-92.5600000
Map
93731 Dickinson County Courthouse (Iowa) The Dickinson County Courthouse is located in Spirit Lake, Iowa, United States. Built in two phases in 2006 and 2009, it is the fourth building to house court functions and county administration. 43.4220860,-95.1033050
Map
93732 Sacred Heart School (Dubuque, Iowa) Sacred Heart School is a historic building in Dubuque, Iowa, United States. Completed in 1915, the building replaced Marquette Hall near Sacred Heart Church that had been built in 1888. It was designed by the Dubuque architectural firm of Fridolin J. Heer & Son. While the firm has several of its designs represented on the National Register of Historic Places, this is the only school building. The Sisters of St. Francis from Dubuque and lay teachers taught in school, which had 640 students when it opened. Its early principals were laymen until 1952 when a Sister became the principal. A ninth-grade class for boys was begun in 1930 and tenth grade was added two years later. The high school program was discontinued in 1949 due to a teacher shortage. Enrollment in school was 900 in 1953 and 1,020, excluding the kindergarten, in 1956. The kindergarten program was discontinued the following year because of a lack of classroom space. Eventually, the school itself was closed. 42.5168750,-90.6671990
Map
93733 Lincoln Highway in Greene County, Iowa#Lincoln Highway Markers The Lincoln Highway in Greene County, Iowa is a multiple property submission to the National Register of Historic Places, which was approved on March 29, 1993. It includes five individual listings and five historic districts located in Greene County, Iowa, United States. They encompass abandoned sections of dirt roads, paved sections that are now part of other highways, and various sites, objects, structures and pieces of infrastructure that were a part of the Lincoln Highway. The years of historical significance are 1912 to 1928. 42.0152780,-94.3747220
Map
93734 Colfax Spring City Commercial Historic District The Colfax Spring City Commercial Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located in Colfax, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. At the time of its nomination it contained 48 resources, which included 28 contributing buildings, two contributing sites, two contributing structures, 12 non-contributing buildings, and four non-contributing structures. Colfax was platted in 1866 or 1867 as a railroad and farm-to-market town along the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. Coal mines were also located to the south of town. Mineral water was discovered in the area in 1875, which led to the development of the mineral water-based health industry in Colfax. The historic district represents the growth during this time period. After the health-related mineral water industry declined, Colfax expanded its farm-to-market economy in the late inter-war and post-World War II years. 41.6771000,-93.2451000
Map
93735 Ned Ashton House The Ned Ashton House in Iowa City, Iowa, also known as the Edward L. Ashton House or as Ashton House, was built in 1947-1948 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. 41.6722220,-91.5508330
Map
93736 Lisbon United Methodist Church Lisbon United Methodist Church is located in Lisbon, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016. 41.9225400,-91.3834720
Map
93737 WCF & N Center Point Depot and Substation The WCF & N Center Point Depot and Substation, also known as the Center Point Depot Museum, is a historic building located in Center Point, Iowa, United States. The Mission Revival building was constructed in 1914 by the Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Northern Railroad, an interurban line that ran between the Waterloo – Cedar Falls area and Cedar Rapids. Passenger service ended here in 1956, and rail freight was discontinued in 1973. The station sat empty until it was renovated beginnng in 1983. Other renovation projects were carried out 1998 to 1999 and 2013. The building was acquired by the Linn County Conservation Board in the early 1980s and turned into a museum and rest stop along the Cedar Valley Nature Trail, which follows the former rail bed. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 42.1930710,-91.7813640
Map
93738 Cedar Covered Bridge Cedar Bridge refers to two different bridges. The original Cedar Covered Bridge was built in 1883, moved in 1921, and was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The bridge was filmed in the 1995 movie The Bridges of Madison County, and destroyed by arson in 2002. The second covered Cedar Bridge was built in 2004. This second bridge was destroyed by arsonists in 2017. As of July 2018, only the foundation of the bridge remains. 41.3658330,-93.9908330
Map
93739 Gary J. and Matilda Vermeer Farmstead The Gary J. and Matilda Vermeer Farmstead is a historic building located east of Pella, Iowa, United States, in Mahaska County. Gerrit "Gary" Vermeer was born on a farm outside of Pella on September 29, 1918 and was educated in the local schools. He married Matilda Van Gorp at her parents’ farm on February 14, 1941. They farmed a 120-acre (49 ha) farm that had been given to them by his parents. They built this modest house on that farm in 1953 and lived here the rest of their married life. Gary invented a wagon hoist that made it easier to unload corn. It became so popular that he and his cousin, Ralph Vermeer, started the Vermeer Company to manufacture the device as well as other agricultural implements. In 1971 Gary developed the Vermeer round hay baler, "an invention that revolutionized agriculture." In addition to his business and farming, Gary was involved in the Pella community and the Reformed Church in America. He died in Pella on February 2, 2009. Matilda, who was born near Pella on February 14, 1920, died on July 19, 2014. They are buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Pella. The farmstead was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 41.4097000,-92.8710000
Map
93740 First Church of Christ, Scientist (Marshalltown, Iowa) First Church of Christ, Scientist was a Prairie School church building located at 412 West Main Street, in Marshalltown, Iowa, United States. Designed by architect, Hugh M.G. Garden, it was once on the National Register of Historic Places, but was bulldozed in August, 1985, and was later removed from the National Register.
93741 Hippee Building The Hippee Building, also known as the Southern Surety Building, the Savings and Loan Building, and the Midland Building, is a historic building located in downtown Des Moines, Iowa, United States. It was completed in 1913 by George B. Hippee whose father, George M. Hippee, was one of the first merchants in Des Moines. George B. developed the first interurban railway in the city and it connected Des Moines to other communities in central Iowa. The 172-foot (52 m), 12-story structure was designed by the Des Moines architectural firm of Sawyer and Watrous in the Early Commercial style. At the time of it completion, the building was Iowa's tallest skyscraper. It was used as an office building until the Aparium Hotel Group of Chicago acquired it in 2017 and began converting the building into a 138-room hotel. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 41.5852320,-93.6243370
Map
93742 Shepard and Emma Farnsworth House The Shepard and Emma Farnsworth House is a historic building located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States. Built by Vincent Battin in 1886, the two-story frame structure is an example of an asymmetrical Queen Anne style residence. It was designed by local architect Stiles Maxon, who was also responsible for numerous other houses in the city and three county courthouses in the state of Iowa. The house features multiple gables, the original wrought iron ornamentation on the crest of the roof, cast metal egg-and-dart trim under the eaves, three chimneys, and four porches with spindles and sawn wood cutouts. It also has stained glass, leaded glass, and etched glass windows and doors. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 41.2587000,-95.8561000
Map
93743 South Omaha Veterans Memorial Bridge The South Omaha Veterans Memorial Bridge (originally the South Omaha Bridge but renamed the Veterans Memorial Bridge in 1995) was a continuous warren through truss bridge over the Missouri River connecting Omaha, Nebraska with Council Bluffs, Iowa via U.S. Highway 275. 41.2131000,-95.9325000
Map
93744 Davenport Bag and Paper Company Building The Davenport Bag and Paper Company Building, also known as the Peterson Bag and Paper Building, is a historic building located in downtown Davenport, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the Davenport Register of Historic Properties in 2012. In 2018 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 41.5213160,-90.5709610
Map
93745 Ames Main Street Historic District Ames Main Street Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located in Ames, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. At the time of its nomination it consisted of 81 resources, which included 76 contributing buildings, and 15 non-contributing buildings. The district covers most of the city's central business district. The area began to develop after the Civil War along the Chicago and North Western (CNW) tracks. The district was also served by the Ames & College Railway and its successor, the Fort Dodge, Des Moines, & Southern Interurban Streetcar line, from 1891 to 1929. The later connected downtown Ames and the CNW depot with Iowa State College, now known as Iowa State University. 42.0255000,-93.6137000
Map
93746 Toledo Bridge The Toledo Bridge was located in Toledo, Iowa, United States. It spanned Deer Creek for 124 feet (38 m). The Clinton Bridge and Iron Works of Clinton, Iowa built a single-span, pin-connected Pratt truss in 1912. The following year it became part of the Lincoln Highway route. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. The historic span was replaced by a concrete span in 2006, and removed from the National Register in 2009. 41.9922220,-92.5916670
Map
93747 West Side Residential Historic District The West Side Residential Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located in Washington, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. At the time it was studied for the State of Iowa it contained 255 resources, which included 184 contributing buildings, one contributing site, one contributing structure, one contributing object, and 68 non-contributing buildings. Some of the numbers could be adjusted up for the National Register nomination as the park required further study. The historic district is a residential neighborhood on the west side of town with houses that were built from the 1850s to the 1960s. The oldest house in the district was constructed in 1856, and eight of the houses were built after 1969, the cut-off year for inclusion as a contributing property. All of the houses are single family dwellings, and most of them are frame construction. Nine of the houses are brick or stucco. They range in height from single-story to two-story structures. The district is noteworthy for its large collection of Victorian styles from the 1880s to the 1900s, but there are also a number of American Foursquare, American Craftsman, and bungalows in the neighborhood as well. The Joseph Keck House (c. 1860) and the Frank Stewart House (1894) are individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 41.2985000,-91.6968000
Map
93748 Thomas Johnson Polygonal Barn The Thomas Johnson Polygonal Barn was a historic building located near Wellman in rural Washington County, Iowa, United States. The 16-sided building measured 40 feet (12 m) in diameter. The structure was covered in red vertical siding and it was topped by a sectional conical roof, with windows on the south side and an aerator. The numerous windows and the 15 hog pens that were around its perimeter suggessts that this was built as a hog barn as light and ventilation in hog barns were a concern in the early 20th-century. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The barn has subsequently been torn down, and it was removed from the National Register in 2014. 41.4391670,-91.8288890
Map
93749 Ten Mile Creek Bridge (Iowa) The Ten Mile Creek Bridge was a historic structure located northwest of Decorah, Iowa, United States. It spanned Ten Mile Creek for 36 feet (11 m). The R.D. Wheaton Bridge Company of Chicago supplied several king post truss bridges to Winneshiek County in the mid-1890s, and this is probably one of them. There are no county records specific to this bridge. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998, and was delisted in 2017. 43.3380560,-91.8883330
Map
93750 Everett School (Sioux City, Iowa) Everett School, also known as Davis Addition School, is a historic building located in Sioux City, Iowa, United States. Davis Addition School opened in 1888. It was named for the subdivision in which it was located. The original section of the building is composed of four rooms, and it cost $12,500 to build. It was renamed "Everett" in February of the following year, possibly after Edward Everett, the United States Senator from Massachusetts who gave the main speech at the Gettysburg National Cemetery dedication, the day that Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address. The gymnasium and additional classroom space was added in 1917. The auditorium was added in 1940, and the building has been modernized over the years. Both Everett and Smith Elementary schools were closed in 2011, with their students going to the new Liberty Elementary School. Arch Icon Development of Woodbine, Iowa acquired the building and is in the process of converting it into apartments. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. 42.4993000,-96.4252000
Map
93751 Milwaukee Railroad Shops Historic District The Milwaukee Railroad Shops Historic District, also known as the Sioux City Railroad Museum is a nationally recognized historic district located in Sioux City, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018. At the time of its nomination it contained 41 resources, which included six contributing buildings, 16 archaeological sites, six contributing structures, and 14 contributing objects. 42.5274000,-96.4762000
Map