stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
152 Cooper Landing Post Office The Cooper Landing Post Office, formerly known as Jack Lean's Store, is a historic building located in the town of Cooper Landing, Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska. Cooper Landing was established after prospector Joseph Cooper discovered gold in the 1880s where the Kenai River meets Kenai Lake. The chalet-style building was built c. 1910-20 as a simple log cabin, and was enlarged in the 1920s and 1930s, probably not acquiring its distinctive facade until the 1930s. Its facade is adorned with hunting trophies such as caribou and moose antlers. The building has been relocated a short distance to the west, along with the historical Ridderford School, and is now part of the Cooper Landing Historical Museum. 60.4888890,-149.8347220
Map
Sterling Hwy. Cooper Landing AK
153 Cooper Landing Historic District Cooper Landing Historic District is a historic district in Cooper Landing, Alaska, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 60.4891670,-149.8325000
Map
AK 1 Cooper Landing AK
154 Sts. Sergius and Herman of Valaam Church Sts. Sergius and Herman of Valaam Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Nanwalek, Alaska. It is named for the Saints Sergius and Herman of Valaam. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America. 59.3563330,-151.9216670
Map
In English Bay English Bay AK
155 Thorn--Stingley House The Thorn-Stingley House is a historic house at 1660 East End Road in Homer, Alaska, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. It is a 1-1/2 story wood frame structure, roughly rectangular in shape, with a side-gable roof and a full basement that includes a one-car garage. The house is in a local interpretation of the Bungalow style, with a pair of gable-roof dormers projecting from the front roof, and a projecting gable-roofed hood above the main entrance. The front facade is divided into three asymmetrical bays, with a grouping of three sash windows in the left bay (over the garage entrance), the entry in the center, and a single sash window to the right. The house, built in 1945, is one of the city's only little-altered representatives of housing built in Homer's boom years following World War II. 59.6563890,-151.5005560
Map
1660 E. End Rd. Homer AK
156 Chugachik Island Site Chugachik Island is a small island in the upper reaches of Kachemak Bay, an indent in the Kenai Peninsula of south-central Alaska. The island falls within the bounds of Kachemak Bay State Park. Address Restricted Homer AK
157 Johnson, Harry A., Trapline Cabin The Harry A. Johnson Trapline Cabin is a log cabin in a remote location on the Kenai Peninsula of south-central Alaska. It is located on the banks of an unnamed creek in Kenai National Wildlife Refuge about 15 miles (24 km) southwest of Hope. It is about 14 by 11 feet (4.3 m × 3.4 m), with a steeply pitched roof 11 feet 6 inches (3.51 m) in height. The cabin was built in 1926 by Harry A. Johnson, a semi-recluse who came to Alaska in 1904 to work on the railroads, and lived a life of subsistence and occasional work. Johnson built the cabin in part as a place where he could engage in nature photography, particularly of wildlife. 60.7558330,-149.9461110
Map
20 mi. S of Hope Hope AK
158 Hope Historic District The Hope Historic District encompasses the surviving elements of the former mining boom town of Hope, Alaska. Hope is located in the northeastern corner of the Kenai Peninsula, alongside the spot where Resurrection Creek empties into the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet. Principal access to Hope is via the Hope Highway, a side road of the Seward Highway. Its historic center is formed by a grid of streets with Main Street at the west and Fifth Street at the east, A Street at the south, and formerly C Street at the north. The C Street area and parts of B Street are now submerged at high tide; the remaining historic buildings are located on Main, A and B streets, and First and Second streets. It includes 29 historic buildings, dating from the turn of the 20th century to the 1940s. The community was established in 1898 to support gold mining operations in the mountainous interior of the Kenai Peninsula, activity that largely ended in the 1940s. Because the town was isolated, as the Seward Highway wasn't completed until 1951, a significant concentration of its early buildings survive. Mile 17, Hope Rd. Hope AK
159 Hirshey Mine The Hirshey Mine was one of the major gold mines in the northern mountains of the Kenai Peninsula in south-central Alaska in the first half of the 20th century. The mine, unlike many local claims an underground operation, is located in the mountains of what is now Chugach National Forest, on the east side of Palmer Creek about 12 miles (19 km) southeast of the community of Hope. The claim was staked in 1911 John Hirshey, who arrived in the area in 1895 and was one of the early settlers of Hope. He called the claim his "Lucky Strike", and it was worked until all mines were closed in the area in 1942. When the area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, remnants of two buildings survived, along with the entrance to one of the tunnels and discarded equipment. 60.7925000,-149.5316670
Map
SE of Hope on Palmer Creek Rd. Hope AK
160 Sunrise City Historic District Sunrise is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States. The population was 18 at the 2010 census, unchanged from 2000. Address Restricted Hope AK
161 Holm, Victor, Homestead The Victor Holm Homestead is a historic late 19th-century homestead property in Kasilof, Alaska. The 1.4-acre (0.57 ha) property is located on Cohoe Road, on the west bank of the Kasilof River. The property was settled in about 1890 by Victor Holm, who built a rough log cabin on the property then, and later a more refined log structure in 1915. He also built a wellhouse, outhouse, and food storage cache that have survived. His original cabin was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Victor Holm Cabin in 1977; this cabin was moved away from an eroding bluff in 2011 by the Kachemak Heritage Land Trust. The property is now owned by the Kachemak Regional Historic Association. 60.3691670,-151.3036110
Map
Address Restricted Kasilof AK
162 Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Holy Assumption Orthodox Church, also known as Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, is a Russian Orthodox parish church in Kenai, Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States. Completed in 1896, it is the oldest-standing Russian Orthodox church in Alaska and was a major center for the assimilation of the local Native population. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places shortly after. 60.5530560,-151.2675000
Map
Mission and Overland Sts. Kenai AK
163 Holm, Victor, Cabin The Victor Holm Homestead is a historic late 19th-century homestead property in Kasilof, Alaska. The 1.4-acre (0.57 ha) property is located on Cohoe Road, on the west bank of the Kasilof River. The property was settled in about 1890 by Victor Holm, who built a rough log cabin on the property then, and later a more refined log structure in 1915. He also built a wellhouse, outhouse, and food storage cache that have survived. His original cabin was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Victor Holm Cabin in 1977; this cabin was moved away from an eroding bluff in 2011 by the Kachemak Heritage Land Trust. The property is now owned by the Kachemak Regional Historic Association. 60.3688890,-151.3036110
Map
SW of Kenai on Cohoe Rd. at Kasilof River Kenai AK
164 Alaska Nellie's Homestead Alaska Nellie's Homestead, located at Mile 23 of the Seward Highway in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, is the former homestead of Nellie Neal Lawing. Neal Lawing had migrated to Alaska in 1915 and ran a number of roadhouses for the Alaska Railroad before settling at the Roosevelt roadhouse on Kenai Lake in 1923, where she built her homestead. She planned to marry Kenneth Holden after settling, but he died in an industrial accident before their marriage; his cousin Billie Lawing then proposed to her, and the two married. A post office opened in the area in 1924; Nellie was the first postmistress, and the post office was named Lawing in her honor. 60.4011110,-149.3647220
Map
Mile 23, Seward Hwy. Lawing AK
165 Lauritsen Cabin The Lauritsen Cabin is a historic miner's cabin in the Chugach Mountains of the Kenai Peninsula in south-central Alaska. It is located a short way east of mile 48 of the Seward Highway, at the confluence of Mill and Canyon Creeks. It is built of hand-hewn logs fitted tightly with dovetail notches, and features a ridge pole hewn in a curve to provide for a hip-shaped roof. The building measures about 27 by 13 feet (8.2 m × 4.0 m). The cabin was built in 1896, and may have been among the first cabins built in the gold rush that swept the area in the late 19th century. 60.6727780,-149.4741670
Map
N of Moose Pass off AK 1 Moose Pass AK
166 Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord Chapel The Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church located near Ninilchik, Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, that was built in 1901. It is an approximately 20-by-50-foot (6.1 m × 15.2 m) roughly cruxiform-shaped building, mainly designed by Alexi Andreev Oskolkoff who came from Sitka to supervise the building's construction. The 1901 church replaced an older church built near Ninilchik village's 1846 founding. As of 1977, the church competed only with a largely altered schoolhouse as an artifact of past Russian associations to the community. 60.0502780,-151.6652780
Map
Sterling Hwy. Ninilchik AK
167 Selenie Lagoon Archeological Site The Selenie Lagoon Archeological Site is a prehistoric archaeological site near Port Graham, Alaska. The site encompasses a fairly large and deeply-stratified shell midden on the north shore of the Port Graham inlet. The site is expected to yield a fairly complete sequence of artifacts relating to the history of human habitation of the inlet. Address Restricted Port Graham AK
168 Coal Village Site The Coal Village Site, also known as Coal Cove after the name of the bay south of it, is a historic archaeological site near Port Graham, Alaska. It was the location of a coal mining operation established by the Russian American Company in 1855, and was for a time the third largest settlement in Russian Alaska. An open-pit coal mine was mined until 1860, when a fire destroyed the main steam engine, and the site was abandoned in 1865. When the site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, it was overgrown, and remnants of building foundations, a railway, and other artifacts were discernible, as was a refuse midden. 59.3983330,-151.9016670
Map
N of Port Graham Port Graham AK
169 St. Nicholas Chapel St. Nicholas Chapel, commonly known as Russian Orthodox Church, is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Seldovia, Alaska, United States. The church was most likely built in 1891 and replaced a log church. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 59.4394440,-151.7163890
Map
In Seldovia Seldovia AK
170 Hoben Park Hoben Park, also known as Arcade Park, Nile Park and Ladies Park, is a city park on the waterfront of Seward, Alaska. It is bounded by the Alaska Sealife Center, the Seward Depot, Railroad Avenue, and Resurrection Bay. The park's north and west sides have a decorative concrete wall, part of which is original to the park's 1923 construction date. The park has been generally restored to its 1920s appearance, although the north side has been shortened due to road widening. Construction of park formed a major part of the city's self-promotion as the "Gateway to Alaska", and was timed to be finished in time for the visit to the city by President Warren G. Harding on July 13, 1923, when completion of the Alaska Railroad was celebrated. The park is named for Hedley V. "Harry" Hoben, a prominent local citizen who was mayor in 1918-19. Hoben promoted the park and paid for its maintenance until his death in 1948. 60.1002780,-149.4397220
Map
401 Railway AVe. Seward AK
171 Alaska Central Railroad: Tunnel No. 1 Alaska Central Railroad Tunnel No. 1, also known as the Loop District Tunnel No. 1 is a historic railroad tunnel located about 40 miles (64 km) north of Seward, Alaska, in the Placer River Valley, Kenai Peninsula. The tunnel was dug in 1906 and served the Alaska Central Railroad and later the Alaska Railroad until the route in the area, known as the "Loop District" was rerouted in 1951. 60.6538890,-149.0577780
Map
N of Seward Seward AK
172 Diversion Tunnel The Lowell Creek Diversion Tunnel is a flood control project located in Seward, Alaska, United States. The project was constructed to alleviate flooding of Lowell Creek in Seward. It was the first flood control project completed by the United States Army Corps of Engineers in Alaska. 60.1030560,-149.4525000
Map
At Lowell Creek Seward AK
173 Ballaine House The Ballaine House is a historic homestead in Seward, Alaska, United States. The home was built in 1905 by prominent Seward businessman Frank Ballaine. Frank was the brother of John Ballaine, who is considered the founding father of Seward. The building currently houses a bed and breakfast. 60.1063890,-149.4425000
Map
437 3rd Ave. Seward AK
174 Swetman House Swetman House, also known as Swetmann House and Gerhard "Stucco" Johnson House, is a historic residence at 325 5th Avenue in Seward, Alaska. The house was constructed in 1916 and was originally located adjacent to Seward's Mount Marathon. In 1920 or 1921, the original owner, Gerhard "Stucco" Johnson, sold the house to pharmacist Elwyn Swetman on condition that Swetman move the property to his own lot. The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 17, 1978. 60.1041670,-149.4391670
Map
325 5th Ave. Seward AK
175 St. Peter's Episcopal Church St. Peter's Episcopal Church is a historic Episcopal church located at 239 Second Aveune at Adams Street in Seward, Alaska, United States. The first Episcopal services in Seward were held in 1904 by a priest from Valdez. The church building was constructed between 1905 and 1906 and was consecrated on April 1, 1906 by the Rt. Rev. Peter Trimble Rowe, the first bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Alaska. The interior of the church is noted for the 1925 reredos of Christ's Resurrection and Ascension which was done by Dutch artist Jan Van Emple. 60.1027780,-149.4441670
Map
2nd Ave. and Adams St. Seward AK
176 Government Cable Office The Government Cable Office at 218 Sixth Street in Seward, Alaska, United States, is a historic building that served as a telegraph office that connected Seward with communications in the rest of the United States. 60.1019440,-149.4375000
Map
218 6th Ave. Seward AK
177 Van Gilder Hotel The Van Gilder Hotel is a historic multipurpose commercial and civic building at 307 Adams Street in Seward, Alaska, United States. 60.1030560,-149.4411110
Map
307 Adams St. Seward AK
178 Seward Depot The Seward Depot, also known as the Seward Station, is a former rail depot in Seward, Alaska, United States. 60.1008330,-149.4388890
Map
501 Railway Ave. Seward AK
179 Brown & Hawkins Store Brown & Hawkins is a general store in Seward, Alaska. It was founded in 1904 to serve the town and those constructing of the Alaska Central Railroad, and has been the oldest continuously operating business in Seward. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It was announced in 2013 that the owners were retiring without finding anyone to buy their business. 60.1013890,-149.4408330
Map
205, 207, 209 Fourth Ave. Seward AK
180 Lee, Jesse, Home for Children The Jesse Lee Home for Children is a former home for displaced children on Swetmann Avenue in Seward, Alaska, United States. It was operated by the United Methodist Church from its opening in 1926 until the building suffered damage from a 1964 earthquake and operations were relocated to a new building in Anchorage. 60.1261110,-149.4463890
Map
Swetmann Ave. Seward AK
181 Berg, Andrew, Cabin The Andrew Berg Cabin near Soldotna, Alaska was built by fisherman and trapper Andrew Berg in 1902. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. 60.1175000,-150.6300000
Map
30 mi. SE of Soldotna Soldotna AK