stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
182 Soldotna Post Office The Soldotna Post Office is a former post office in Soldotna, Alaska, United States. The log cabin, which served as the first post office for the town of Soldotna, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places since September 17, 2008. 60.4927780,-151.0680560
Map
Corner of E. Corral St. and Kenai Spur Hwy Soldotna AK
183 Moose River Site The Moose River Site is a prehistoric archaeological site in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska. Located near the confluence of the Kenai and Moose Rivers near Sterling, it is apparently a camp or village site that was used as a fishing camp about 1500 years ago. The site includes seven house pits and three food cache pits. Address Restricted Sterling AK
184 Yukon Island Main Site Yukon Island is an island in outer Kachemak Bay, an inlet of the Cook Inlet of south central Alaska. The island is located about 9 miles (14 km) south of Homer. The island is archaeologically sensitive, with a number of sites documenting the prehistory of the bay. The Yukon Island Main Site, a National Historic Landmark, is a major shell midden site at which the pioneering archaeologist Frederica de Laguna was able to sequence 1500 years of the area's prehistory, and other sites have been found on the island since then. The island is now home to an educational retreat center. Address Restricted Yukon Island AK
185 Guard Island Lighthouse The Guard Island Light is a lighthouse on a small island near the entrance to the Tongass Narrows, in Clarence Strait in southeastern Alaska. The western entrance to the Behm Canal also lies nearby. 55.4459900,-131.8811650
Map
Guard Islands in the Clarence Strait at the N end of Tongass Narrow, 9.6 mi. NW of Ketchikan Ketchikan AK
186 Ketchikan Federal Building The Ketchikan Federal Building is a courthouse of the United States District Court for the District of Alaska, located at 648 Mission Street in Ketchikan, Alaska. It was completed in 1938, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 28, 2006. The building's primary tenant is the United States Forest Service Tongass National Forest Supervisor's Office, which occupies space on the first, second, third, fourth and sixth floors. The fifth floor houses a courtroom and related support offices, while the first floor also houses an office of the United States Customs and Border Protection. 55.3416670,-131.6427780
Map
648 Mission St. Ketchikan AK
187 Creek Street Historic District Creek Street is a historic area of Ketchikan, Alaska. The street is actually a boardwalk mounted in stilts on a high slope on the east side of Ketchikan Creek, east of the city's downtown. 55.3425000,-131.6419440
Map
Creek St., Married Man's Trail & Totem Way Ketchikan AK
188 Downtown Ketchikan Historic District 55.3416200,-131.6457190
Map
Front, Main, Mission, Dock & Mill Sts. Ketchikan AK
189 Totem Bight State Historic Site Totem Bight State Historical Park is a 33-acre (13 ha) state park in the U.S. state of Alaska. It is located north of Ketchikan. 55.4200000,-131.7725000
Map
W side of Revillagigedo Island Ketchikan AK
190 Alaska Totems The Totem Heritage Center is a museum operated by the City of Ketchikan in the U.S. state of Alaska. 55.3426200,-131.6340900
Map
Between Park and Deermount Aves. Ketchikan AK
191 Burkhart-Dibrell House The Burkhart-Dibrell House, also known as Monrean House, is a historic house at 500 Main Street in Ketchikan, Alaska. This three story wood frame house was built in 1904 by H. Z. Burkart, the founder of Ketchikan Spruce Mills, and is the only significant surviving Queen Anne style house in Ketchikan. It occupies a prominent position at the head of Main Street, and has long been a local landmark. In 1916, the house was purchased by Captain Walter Dibrell, Superintendent of Lighthouses for all of Alaska. The house's most prominent feature is its turret with conical roof and gold spire. 55.3438890,-131.6483330
Map
500 Main St. Ketchikan AK
192 Walker-Broderick House The Walker-Broderick House, also known as the "Doc" Walker House, is a historic house at 541 Pine Street in Ketchikan, Alaska. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The house is a single-story wood frame structure, built in 1916-20 by local Ketchikan master builder Carl Foss. The house is an excellent local example of Craftsman styling, with broad eaves supported by large knee arches, large brick piers supporting the front porch, and a matching brick chimney on the side. Interior woodwork is well-preserved. The house was built for Norman "Doc" Walker, an early Ketchikan resident, pharmacists, and politician who served as mayor and in the Alaska Territorial Senate 55.3444440,-131.6466670
Map
541 Pine St. Ketchikan AK
193 Ziegler House The Ziegler House, also known as the Ziegler/Pitcher House, is a historic house at 623 Grant Street in Ketchikan, Alaska. It is a two-story wood frame residence, set on a hillside. It is roughly rectangular in shape, with a hip roof with clipped-gable ends. The house was built as a relatively small structure in 1911, and underwent a significant expansion in 1922 to achieve its present appearance. The house has been the longtime home of members of the locally prominent Ziegler family, and was built by Adolph Holton Ziegler (1889-1970) who served as mayor of Ketchikan and in the territorial legislature. His son, Robert Holton Ziegler, became a prominent local lawyer, serving in the territorial and then state legislatures. 55.3444440,-131.6452780
Map
623 Grant St. Ketchikan AK
194 Ketchikan Ranger House The Ketchikan Ranger House at 309 Gorge Street in Ketchikan, Alaska was built in 1916 in the residential Captain's Hill district of Ketchikan. Designed by USDA Forest Service in "Vernacular Victorian" style, it housed the U.S. Forest Service's district rangers until 1978. The 1-1/2 story frame house has remained essentially unaltered from its original construction. It was built for $650 to serve the first forest ranger for the state of Alaska. 55.3463890,-131.6594440
Map
309 Gorge St. Ketchikan AK
195 First Lutheran Church The First Lutheran Church in Ketchikan, Alaska is a historic church at 1200 Tongass Avenue. It was designed by architect W.G. Brust of Seattle and was built in 1930 by Ketchikan local builder Carl Foss. It is a two-story wood frame structure, with a three-story tower at its southwest corner. The windows along the sides are rectangular sash windows on the first level, and narrow Gothic lancet windows on the taller second level grouped in threes in rectangular openings. The main entry is in through an arched opening in the tower, with the door topped by a multi-light transom window. 55.3452780,-131.6577780
Map
1200 Tongass Ave. Ketchikan AK
196 Gilmore Building The Gilmore Building, also known as the Gilmore Hotel, is a historic commercial building at 326 Front Street in Ketchikan, Alaska. It is a three-story masonry building located adjacent to Ketchikan City Hall, and was built in 1926-27 by P. J. Gilmore, Sr. to meet growing demand in the growing community for retail space and hotel rooms. The build is in the shape of a reversed L, whose base lies along Front Street, and includes three commercial storefronts. The upper floors are populated with hotel rooms. 55.3422220,-131.6477780
Map
326 Front St. Ketchikan AK
197 The Star The Star is a historic commercial building at 5 Creek Street in Ketchikan, Alaska, United States. It is the only one of a once-numerous collection of brothels that famously lined Creek Street to retain its historical integrity, and was one of the largest in the city. The Star's origins (like those of other brothels on Creek Street) lay in a 1903 city ordinance banning brothels from the city center, after which those businesses began building up what is now Creek Street on stilts over the north bank of Ketchikan Creek. The Star was probably built as a modest gable-roofed structure not long after the ordinance was passed, and was enlarged in 1910 and again in 1917 to achieve its present size. Its name devrives from a star placed in the center of the wooden floor of the dance hall on the first floor. It is documented to have been in operation between 1917 and 1954 (when the city shut down all brothels), with only a few brief closures. The building was damaged by fire in 1971, and restored in 1991. 55.3425000,-131.6425000
Map
5 Creek St. Ketchikan AK
198 Stedman--Thomas Historic District The Stedman–Thomas Historic District encompasses what was historically the southern portion of Ketchikan, Alaska. It extends along Stedman and Thomas Streets, from Ketchikan Creek in the north to East Street in the south, and includes a few properties on adjacent spur side streets. In the early days of the city, the area was a seasonal Native fishing camp just south of the creek, but the Alaskan gold rushes around the turn of the 20th century brought an influx of settlers to the area. 55.3405560,-131.6402780
Map
Stedman, Thomas, Inman, Brown, and Tatsudu Sts. Ketchikan AK
199 Clover Pass School The Clover Pass School is a historic school building in Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Alaska. It is located 16 miles (26 km) north of the city of Ketchikan, at the junction of Potter and Knudson Cove Roads. The small one-room wood-frame structure was built in 1947, and was used as a school until 1961. It thereafter was used as a local community center, and is now owned by Historic Ketchikan (although the land on which it sits is owned by the federal government and administered by the United States Bureau of Land Management). 55.4727800,-131.7922100
Map
Potter Rd. off Knudson Cove Rd. Knudson Cove AK
200 Saxman Totem Park Saxman Totem Park is a public park in the city of Saxman, Alaska, just south of Ketchikan in southeastern Alaska. The park is home to a collection of totem poles, some of which are old poles relocated to this place from abandoned Tlingit villages in the region, or were reconstructed by skilled Tlingit carvers under the auspices of the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. The poles originated in the communities of Old Tongass, Cat Island, Village Island, Pennock Island, and Fox Village. One of the carved items recovered from abandoned villages is a marble statue of a grizzly bear. The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. 55.3197220,-131.5963890
Map
S. Tongass Hwy. Saxman AK
201 Chief Kashakes House The Chief Kashakes House, also known as the Eagle Tail House and Chief Kah-Shakes House, is a historic Tlingit clan house in Saxman, Alaska. Built in 1895 using balloon framing, the two story wood frame structure was the first structure built in Saxman, and is the only surviving clan house of its type there. It has a hip roof, and is clad in shiplap siding. The front originally had a porch extending across the full width, but this has been reduced to just the central portion. Three totem poles flank the building, two eagle-topped poles to the right and a beaver pole to the left. An old Russian cannon stands near the house. 55.3180560,-131.5969440
Map
Mile 2.5 S. Tongass Hwy. Saxman AK
202 Nativity of Holy Theolokos Church The Nativity of Holy Theotokos Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Afognak, Alaska. The present church is the third Russian Orthodox church built in Afognak, and replaced the second which had been built in the late 1800s. Its construction began in 1901, and was completed in 1905. The community was mostly "washed out" by a 1964 tsunami, and moved to Port Lions, but the church building remained. 58.0105560,-152.7644440
Map
In Afognak Afognak AK
203 Cape Alitak Petroglyphs District Coordinates: 56°50′36″N 154°18′33″W / 56.84339°N 154.30903°W / 56.84339; -154.30903 Address Restricted Akhiok AK
204 Protection of the Theotokos Chapel The Protection of the Theotokos Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox chapel on Kodiak Island, Alaska, along E Street at Akhiok, Alaska. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 56.9450000,-154.1680560
Map
In Akhiok Akhiok AK
205 Ascension of Our Lord Chapel The Ascension of Our Lord Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox chapel in Karluk, Alaska. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 57.5691670,-154.4583330
Map
In Karluk Karluk AK
206 Kad'yak The Kad'yak, also known as Kadyak and Kadiak, was a wooden-hulled sailing merchant ship belonging to the Russian-American Company. Purchased by the company in 1851, she was used to transport personnel and supplies among its settlements in Russian Alaska, and to transport trade goods to San Francisco. On April 2, 1860, she struck a rock near the port of Kodiak, Alaska while carrying a load of ice and trade goods destined for San Francisco, and sank near Spruce Island after drifting for three days. Address Restricted Kodiak AK
207 Agricultural Experiment Station Barn The Agricultural Experiment Station Barn is a historic barn at 614 Egan Way in Kodiak, Alaska. Built in 1922, it is the last remaining structure of an agricultural experiment station established by the United States in 1907 and operated until 1931, determining that the local climate was viable for raising dairy cattle. It is built in the style of a Wisconsin dairy barn, with post and beam framing, vertical siding, and a concrete foundation. 57.7922220,-152.3975000
Map
614 Egan Way Kodiak AK
208 Woody Island Historic Archeological District Woody Island is located in Chiniak Bay, 2.6 miles (4.2 km) east of Kodiak, Alaska. It was originally settled by the native Alutiiq people who called themselves Tangirnarmiut, "the people of Tangirnaq." They inhabited and used Woody Island for thousands of years. The Russians established an agricultural colony on Woody Island in 1792. It was officially designated Wood Island in 1894 by the US Post Office and was the primary coastal settlement for commerce and trade for many years. The first road in Alaska was built on Woody Island. Aside from the Aleut presence, the island has gone through four periods of occupation by non-natives, and is largely unoccupied today. The island is approximately 2.8 miles long from north to south and 1.8 miles wide and 13 miles in circumference. Address Restricted Kodiak AK
209 Russian-American Company Magazin The Baranov Museum is a history museum at 101 East Marine Way in Kodiak, Alaska. It is located in a National Historic Landmark building known as the Russian-American Magazin [sic] and the Erskine House, which also houses the office of the Kodiak Historical Society. Built c. 1810, the building is the oldest of four surviving building constructed by the Russians when Alaska was a Russian territory. The museum's collections and exhibits are focused on the history of the Kodiak Archipelago and the Aleutian Islands, with particular focus on the Russian and early American periods. The museum's current director is Sarah Harrington. 57.7877780,-152.4033330
Map
Main St. and Mission Rd. Kodiak AK
210 Holy Resurrection Church The Holy Resurrection Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church located at the corner of Mission Road and Kashevaroff Avenue in Kodiak, Alaska. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 57.7886110,-152.4025000
Map
Mission Rd. and Kashevaroff St. Kodiak AK
211 AHRS Site KOD-207 The Russian Kiln Site is a historic archaeological site on Long Island, part of the Kodiak Archipelago of southern Alaska. It is one of the oldest industrial sites in Alaska, established by the Russian American Company for the production of bricks, an otherwise rare commodity in 19th-century Russian America. The kilns on the site were reported to produce between 3000 and 6000 bricks annually. Brick debris is scattered along the shore of Long Island in the area, which subsided after the 1964 Alaska earthquake and is subject to erosion. It is one of several sites in the vicinity of Kodiak Island where the Russians produced bricks. Address Restricted Kodiak AK