stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
212 American Cemetery The American Cemetery, also known as the Old City Cemetery, is a historic cemetery on Upper Mill Bay Road in Kodiak, Alaska. It is a small parcel of land near the intersection with Wilson Avenue, about one third of an acre, now completely surrounded by buildings. It was established in 1868 by the United States Army, not long after occupying the formerly Russian community after the Alaska Purchase, and is the second-oldest cemetery (after the one established by the Russians) in the city. The cemetery was used by the military and later the community until 1940. At least seven soldiers, including five from the original occupation of Fort Kodiak, are known to be buried here. 57.7911110,-152.4013890
Map
Upper Mill Bay Kodiak AK
213 Kodiak 011 Site The Middle Bay Brick Kiln is a historical archaeological site on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Located on an eroding bluff face on Middle Bay, the site contains the remains of a brickmaking facility established by the Russian American Company, probably in the early 19th century. The remains include a 4-by-4-metre (13 ft × 13 ft) Roman-style kiln, with a series of arches that supported the kiln floor and provided a space for the fire. At the time of the site's first major excavation in 1979, elements of at least one arch were in danger of being undermined by the eroding bluff face, and were removed for potential reconstruction by the Kodiak Historical Society. Other notable finds at the site include hand cut nails and a brick with Russian writing on it. Address Restricted Kodiak AK
214 Kodiak Naval Operating Base and Forts Greely and Abercrombie Coast Guard Base Kodiak is a major shore installation of the United States Coast Guard, located in Kodiak, Alaska. The largest tenant unit on the base is Air Station Kodiak. It is also the home port for several cutters. Historic elements that it includes are the Kodiak Naval Operating Base, Fort Greely, and Fort Abercrombie. 57.7386110,-152.5047220
Map
Address unknown Kodiak AK
215 Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park, also known as the Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site, is an Alaska state park on Kodiak Island, Alaska. It includes 182 acres (74 ha) of land at the end of Miller Point, located on the eastern shore of Kodiak Island northeast of the city of Kodiak. The park, established in 1969, is noted for its historical World War II fortifications and its scenery, which includes bluffs overlooking the ocean, spruce forests, and meadows. The site was named in honor of the early Alaska explorer and United States Army officer Lt. Col. William R. Abercrombie. The fortifications, whose surviving elements include gun emplacements, underground magazines, and foundational remnants of buildings, were built in 1941 and abandoned after the war ended, having seen no action. 57.8311110,-152.3558330
Map
Miller Point, 5 mi. from Kodiak Kodiak Island AK
216 SS ALEUTIAN (Shipwreck) SS Aleutian was a passenger ship in North American coastal service. Built in 1899 for the Ward Line as SS Havana, she would later serve the building of the Panama Canal as SS Panama and ultimately enter Alaska service as SS Aleutian. Address Restricted Larsen Bay AK
217 KOD-171 Site KOD-171 is a prehistoric and historic archaeological site in the vicinity of Larsen Bay, a city on the north side of Kodiak Island in southern Alaska. The site was discovered by Smithsonian Institution archaeologist Aleš Hrdlička and described in 1944 as containing both historical Russian artifacts as well as prehistoric Kachemak Bay tradition artifacts. A 1978 survey team reported the site to include 22 house pits and an eroding shell midden. The site, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, is subject to erosion and vandalism by pot hunters. Address Restricted Larsen Bay AK
218 KOD-233 Site Address Restricted Larsen Bay AK
219 Three Saints Site Coordinates: 57°8′8″N 153°29′45″W / 57.13556°N 153.49583°W / 57.13556; -153.49583 Address Restricted Old Harbor AK
220 Sts. Sergius and Herman of Valaam Chapel Sts. Sergius and Herman of Valaam Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox chapel in Ouzinkie, Alaska. The chapel is named for the Saints Sergius and Herman of Valaam. It was built in 1898 by Bishop Tikhon, who located it over the grave of Father Herman, the first Russian Orthodox clergyman to be canonized for service in Alaska, and who has been considered the patron saint of Alaska. It is approximately 22 by 20 feet (6.7 m × 6.1 m) in plan and on its roof has a small, relatively recently added onion-shape supporting a high cross. An altar section and a vestibule section were added later, completing out a customary three-section design of Russian Orthodox churches in Alaska.[a] 57.9061110,-151.3527780
Map
Spruce Island, Mok's Lagoon Ouzinkie AK
221 Nativity of Our Lord Chapel The Nativity of Our Lord Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church located in Church Street, Ouzinkie, Alaska. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 57.9230560,-152.5002780
Map
In Ouzinkie Ouzinkie AK
222 Savonoski River Archeological District (Boundary Increase) Address Restricted Brooks Camp AK
223 Kukak Cannery Archeological Historic District The Kukak Bay Cannery was a commercial razor clam canning operation on the southern coast of the Alaska Peninsula. The cannery operated intermittently from 1922 to 1951, with its most active years before 1936, when most of its complex was destroyed by fire. 58.3169440,-154.1886110
Map
Katmai Nationa Park and Preserve Kukak Bay AK
224 Bly, Dr. Elmer, House The Dr. Elmer Bly House, also known as Bly House and The Point, is a historic log house in Port Alsworth, Alaska. It is located on a spit of land adjacent to Hardenburg Bay, an inlet of Lake Clark, and presently houses administrative offices of the Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. The house is a 1-1/2 story log structure, measuring 23 by 37 feet (7.0 m × 11.3 m). It has a projecting screened arctic entrance vestibule measuring 10 by 13 feet (3.0 m × 4.0 m). The logs used in its construction are sawn on three sides at a local sawmill. The house was built in 1947 by Dr. Elmer Bly, a dentist, and Joe Thompson. Bly operated his dental practice here from 1947 to 1953. It was purchased by the National Park Service 1979, at which time the interior was modernized and the exterior rehabilitated. 60.2047220,-154.3069440
Map
Hardenburg Bay Port Alsworth AK
225 Proenneke, Richard, Site Richard Louis Proenneke (/ˈprɛnəkiː/; May 4, 1916 – April 20, 2003) was an American self-educated naturalist who lived alone for nearly thirty years in the mountains of Alaska in a log cabin he had constructed by hand near the shore of Twin Lakes. Proenneke hunted, fished, raised and gathered his own food, and also had supplies flown in occasionally. He documented his activities in journals and on film, and also recorded valuable meteorological and natural data. The journals and film were later used by others to write books and produce documentaries about his time in the wilderness. 60.6450000,-153.8209600
Map
SE end of upper Twin Lakes, Lake Clark National Park and Preserve Port Alsworth AK
226 Kasna Creek Mining District The Kasna Creek Mining District encompasses a historic copper mining claim on the Alaska Peninsula of southwestern Alaska. The claim is located in the watershed of Kasna Creek, located on the south side of Kontrashibuna Lake, east of Port Alsworth, and was first staked in 1906 by men named Brooks and Hardenberg. They were reported in 1909 to have built a house and storage building near the mouth of the creek. Although never developed, the claim continued to be of interest to mining companies into the 1950s, and was excluded from the nearby Lake Clark National Park and Preserve because of outstanding claims. Address Restricted Port Alsworth AK
227 Wassillie Trefon Dena'ina Fish Cache The Wassillie Trefon Dena'ina Fish Cache is a historically important fish cache (backcountry food storage structure) that is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It qualified for this designation partly because it was a uniquely well-preserved example of traditional Dena'ina Athabascan fish-caching buildings in the vicinity of Lakes Clark and Iliamna. It is about 9 by 10 feet (2.7 m × 3.0 m) in dimension, and is set on poles that are intended to be difficult for animals to climb. It was built without nails or spikes. 60.1976100,-154.3232000
Map
One Park Pl. Port Alsworth AK
228 LIBBY'S NO. 23 (bristol bay double ender) Libby's No. 23 is a historic sail-powered fishing vessel, now on display at the Lake Clark National Park and Preserve visitors center in Port Alsworth, Alaska. Built in 1914, she served in the salmon fishery of Bristol Bay until about 1951, owned by the Libby's cannery and worked by two-man crews. She is 29 feet 6 inches (8.99 m) long, with a beam of 9 feet 2 inches (2.79 m) and a depth of 4 feet (1.2 m). Its bow and stern are roughly the same shape, giving the style its name. Despite its use for freight and recreation between 1953 and 1997, the boat has retained much of its original equipment, and was fully restored by the National Park Service between 1998 and 2005, acquiring replacement parts from similar boats and removing an added motor. It is normally rigged with a mainsail and spritsail, but these are only raised when the boat is taken out of its custom-built boathouse. 60.1975000,-154.3222220
Map
1 Park Pl. Port Alsworth AK
229 Tangle Lakes Archeological District (Boundary Decrease) Address Restricted Glennallen AK
230 Campbell House The Campbell House, also known as Colony House #54 and Campbell-Bouwens-Hamming House, is a historic house at 1540 Inner Springer Loop Road, near Palmer, Alaska. It is a simple 1-1/2 story wood frame structure with a side gable roof. It was designed by architect and community planner David Williams, and built in 1935 as part of the Matanuska Valley Colony project. Of the 75 frame houses built as part of the colony, the Campbell House is one of the few that has survived, and is among the best-preserved. The Campbell House property also retains the original, now restored outhouse, and the chicken coop. At present time the Campbell House is the only colony home available to the public as a vacation rental. 61.5709400,-149.1271000
Map
1540 Inner Springer Loop Palmer AK
231 Independence Mines The Independence Mines, now Independence Mine State Historic Park, is the site of a former gold mining operation in the Talkeetna Mountains, across Hatcher Pass from Palmer, Alaska. The area's mining history dates to at least 1897, when active claims were reported in the vicinity of Fishook Creek. These early mining efforts were eventually joined to form the Wasilla Mining Company, which worked the mines from 1934 to 1943, and again from 1948 to 1950. The mining operation at Independence was the second-largest hard-rock gold mining operation in the state, after a larger site near Juneau. The company and the miners that preceded it built a substantial mining camp, with as many as sixteen wood frame buildings, which were originally connected to each other by sheltered wooden "tunnels". When the company ended operations in 1950, it had expected to eventually resume operations, but never did; this resulted in a particularly well-preserved collection of mining equipment and buildings, although the weather has since taken a significant toll on the latter. 61.7903000,-149.2846700
Map
W of Palmer Palmer AK
232 Palmer Depot The Palmer Depot is a historic train station at South Valley Way and Evergreen Avenue in Palmer, Alaska. It is a large three-section single story frame structure, built in 1935 to provide transportation services to the newly established Matanuska Valley Colony. The main section is the former warehouse, which is 94 feet (29 m) long. The next section, with a lower profile than the warehouse, housed baggage facilities, a passenger waiting area, and living quarters for the station agent. The third section, the smallest of the three, houses the former ticketing office. The building now houses a community center. 61.5999900,-149.1136200
Map
AK 1 Palmer AK
233 Cunningham-Hall Pt-6,Nc-692W Cunningham-Hall PT-6 NC692W is one of two surviving aircraft of its type from the early days of aviation in the history of Alaska. The Cunningham-Hall PT-6 is a single-engine six-seat cabin biplane built by the Cunningham-Hall Aircraft Corporation, which was designed mainly as a personal transport. The aircraft, registered as NC692W, with c/n. 2962, was built in 1930 and is the second of its kind constructed. It was entirely rebuilt as a static display using non-airworthy materials in the 1970s. 61.5773400,-149.5442600
Map
S of Palmer at Mile 40, Glen Hwy. Palmer AK
234 Rebarchek, Raymond, Colony Farm The Raymond Rebarchek Colony Farm is a historic farm property on Rebarchek Avenue in Palmer, Alaska. It consists of a 40-acre (16 ha) tract of land granted to Raymond Rebarchek in a 1935 land lottery organized by the Matanuska Valley Colony, a Depression-era agricultural colony project. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. At that time the farm complex included ten buildings, including Rebarcheck's original log house, the first built in the colony, along with a dairy barn, wellhouse, greenhouse, chicken house. Only the house, wellhouse and barn are still standing today. The property was purchased by the Alaska State Fair in 2002, which is contemplating the establishment of a demonstration farm there. 61.5772800,-149.1269000
Map
S of Palmer off Glenn Hwy. Palmer AK
235 United Protestant Church The United Protestant Church, also known as The Church of a Thousand Trees, is a historic church located at the corner of South Denali Street and East Elmwood Avenue in Palmer, Alaska. It is a rustic log two-story structure, in the shape of a cross. A small bell tower with a dormer roof rises just above the main entrance. The interior is shaped from rustic log elements, with carved pews. The church property includes a manse and garage, built from similar materials. 61.5984800,-149.1079300
Map
S. Denali and Elmwood Sts. Palmer AK
236 Matanuska Colony Community Center The Matanuska Colony Community Center, also Palmer Historic District, is a cluster of buildings near the center of Palmer, Alaska that were the centerpiece of the Depression-era Matanuska Valley Colony. This federal rural resettlement program was intended to give needy families resources and land to improve their condition. The colony's buildings were erected beginning in 1935, and those that survive represent a well-preserved example of government community planning. It is centered on a city block bounded by East Dahlia Avenue, South Valley Way, South Denali Street, and East Elmwood Avenue, and extends to the north and south. The buildings on this block are organized around a grassy quadrangle, laid out in 1935. Prominent buildings include the Palmer Depot and three churches, located in the block just southeast of the quadrangle, one of which, the United Protestant Church, is a distinctive log structure. The colony's Central School, now added to several times, houses the offices of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. 61.5988100,-149.1094400
Map
Roughly bounded by S. Colony, E. Firewood, S. Eklutua, E. Elmwood, S. Denali and a line N of properties on E. Dahlia Palmer AK
237 Hyland Hotel The Hyland Hotel, also known as the Everglenn Hotel, is a historic hotel building at 333 Evergreen Avenue in Palmer, Alaska. It is a 2-1/2 story wood frame structure with a front-gable roof, and a glass-enclosed porch extending across its front. The building was enlarged to the rear and resided in 1953. It was one of the first buildings erected in Palmer after the town was established in 1935. Myles and Joanna Hyland built the hotel, digging the foundation themselves, and using lumber salvaged from a mining camp dormitory. The Hylands ran the hotel until their respective deaths (Myles in 1949, Joanna in 1966). 61.5996000,-149.1197400
Map
333 W. Evergreen Palmer AK
238 Bailey Colony Farm The Bailey Colony Farm', also known as the Estelle Farm, is a historic Matanuska Colony farmstead that dates from 1935. It is located along the Glenn Highway near Palmer, Alaska in Matanuska-Susitna Borough. It was part of a New Deal program opening farms in Alaska as part of assisting overpopulated rural areas of the lower 48 states of the US, in a program conceived of by FERA architect David Williams. 61.6158500,-149.1193100
Map
3150 N. Glenn Hwy. Palmer AK
239 Patten Colony Farm The Patten Colony Farm is a historic farm property in Palmer, Alaska. It is located near milepost 39.9 on the Glenn Highway, and is a relatively complete instance of a farmstead established in the 1930s as part of the Matanuska Valley Colony initiative. The complex consists of eight buildings, six of which were built in the 1930s. The main house is an L-shaped log structure with a concrete foundation, a rarity in the colony. Smaller outbuildings include a log outhouse, a chicken house, and two barns, one of which is the only surviving horse barn (out of two built) of the colony. 61.5786200,-149.1413800
Map
Mi. 39.9 Glenn Hwy., across from State Fairground Palmer AK
240 Puhl House The Puhl House, also known as the Bacon House, is a historic house at the corner of Scott Road and Glenn Highway in Palmer, Alaska. It is a rectangular single-story log structure measuring 35 by 25 feet (10.7 m × 7.6 m), built out of round logs joined by saddle notches at the corners. The diameter and length of the logs reduces as they rise to the eaves; oakum chinking is used to close the gaps. The house was built in 1935 by Joe and Blanche Puhl, settlers who were part of the Matanuska Valley Colony settlement project. This building is distinctive as a colony house because it was not built by the crews of the Works Progress Administration that built most of the colony's housing; the Puhls organized their own construction team and acquired materials for its construction on their own. 61.6106200,-149.1190800
Map
13151 E. Scott Rd. Palmer AK
241 Herried House The Herried House, also known as Grow House, is a historic house at 4400 North Palmer-Fishook Road, near Palmer, Alaska. It is a 1-1/2 story log structure, built from pre-cut logs that were assembled on site. The walls are three-sided logs, notched at the corners, with the gaps filled by burlap and caulking. To the west side of the main block is a wood frame garage which has log siding. The house was built in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration as part of the Matanuska Valley Colony, and is one of its best-preserved survivors. The first owners, Leonard and Ellie Herried, lived there 1935-38. 61.6279300,-149.1702500
Map
4400 N. Palmer--Fishook Hwy. Palmer AK