stats

Tourguide

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
242 Berry House The Berry House is a historic house at 5805 North Farm Loop Road, near Palmer, Alaska. It is a simple 1-1/2 story wood frame structure with a gable roof. It was designed by architect and community planner David Williams, and built in 1935 as part of the Matanuska Valley Colony project. Despite a rearward extension in 1971, the building is a well-preserved example of the type of housing built as part of this New Deal project. The house is named for James Berry, one of the project participants who was the house's third occupant. 61.6450900,-149.1480100
Map
5805 N. Farm Loop Rd. Palmer AK
243 Sutton Community Hall The Sutton Community Hall is a historic municipal building in Sutton, Alaska. It is located on the west side of Jonesville Road, about 0.25 miles (0.40 km) north of its junction with the Glenn Highway. It is a single-story wood frame structure, measuring 40 by 70 feet (12 m × 21 m), with a shallow-pitch gabled sheet metal roof. The building has entrances on the north, south and east sides, the east-facing one sheltered by a hood with diagonal bracing. The exterior has several types of cladding, including asphalt shingles and board-and-batten siding. The building was built in 1927 to serve as a bunkhouse for workers building the Eklutna Power Plant, and was moved to the present location in 1950 to serve the unincorporated community of Sutton as a meeting space. The hall served the community as its principal civic and social meeting space for forty years. 61.7111800,-148.8968500
Map
Jonesville Rd. Sutton AK
244 Talkeetna Airstrip The Talkeetna Airstrip is a historic runway in Talkeetna, Alaska. It is a rectangular area of land, covered by grass and gravel, extending southward along D Street from First Street toward the Susitna River. It is about 1,800 feet (550 m) long and 30 feet (9.1 m) wide, with its northern stretch now lined with private residences and its southern stretch surrounded by public woodlands. The airstrip was created in 1940 as the result of a presidential executive order issued by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1937, which set aside federal land near Talkeetna for aviation-related purposes. It played a major role in the economic development of the community, as air transport was the most reliable method of bringing supplies and travelers into the area. 62.3199700,-150.1133300
Map
Roughly fron First St. S down D St. to the Susitna R. Talkeetna AK
245 Fairview Inn The Fairview Inn is a historic hotel building on Main Street in the center of Talkeetna, Alaska, United States. It is a two-story frame structure, with a hip roof. The main block, 36 feet (11 m) square, was built between 1920 and 1923, following the arrival in the area of the Alaska Railroad. The building exterior is little-altered since then; its major modification has been the addition in the 1970s of an addition for owner living quarters. The interior also still follows essentially the same floor plan as when it was built. 62.3232800,-150.1133200
Map
Main St. Talkeetna AK
246 Curry Lookout The Curry Lookout, also known as Camp Regalvista, is an historic backcountry shelter in Denali State Park, Alaska. It is located on top of Curry Ridge, overlooking the Susitna River and the hamlet of Curry, a former depot on the Alaska Railroad. The only access to the shelter is via a 3-mile (4.8 km) hiking trail beginning at mile 137.2 of the Parks Highway. The shelter is a hexagonal wood frame structure with a tent-shaped roof, and no foundation. Each side is about 6.5 feet (2.0 m) wide and 8 feet (2.4 m) high. A flagpole rises from the center of the shelter, and is secured to the structure via steel cables. The shelter was built by the railroad in 1923, the same year the Curry Hotel (no longer standing) was built. It was intended as an excursion point for visitors, providing views of the surrounding area, including Denali. 62.6226400,-150.0983200
Map
Atop Curry Ridge, Mile 137.2, Parks Hwy. Talkeetna AK
247 Talkeetna Historic District The Talkeetna Historic District encompasses several blocks of the historic village center of Talkeetna, Alaska. It includes buildings on Main Street, roughly between C and D Streets, along with a few buildings on C and D Streets between Front and East First Streets. The village was established in 1916 as a regional construction headquarters of the Alaska Railroad, and became a home to area miners after the railroad's completion. The district includes three buildings that date to the time of the railroad construction, and another ten that were built before 1940. Most of the buildings in the district are one or two stories in height, and are either of wood frame or log construction. Notable among them are the Fairview Inn, the town's first schoolhouse, now the Talkeetna Museum, and the Talkeetna Roadhouse, which was built as a residential log house in 1917 and expanded in the 1940s to serve as a roadhouse. 62.3231800,-150.1143700
Map
Roughly bounded by C, First, D and Front Sts. Talkeetna AK
248 Kirsch's Place Kirsch's Place, also known as the Fireweed Station Lodge, and now the Fireweed Station Inn, is a historic traveler accommodation near Talkeetna, Alaska. It is located about 10.5 miles (16.9 km) south of Talkeetna, roughly 200 feet (61 m) east of mile 215.3 of the Alaska Railroad, a place known as Sunshine Siding. It is a 1-1/2 story log structure, built in 1946 by John Kirsch as a residence and guest lodge. Kirsch operated the lodge until his death in 1959. The lodge is a rare survivor of a post-World War II rural building boom, which was later eclipsed as roads and settlement in the area became more prevalent. 62.1670400,-150.0749300
Map
Mi. 1.5 Sunshine Rd., or mi. 215.3 Alaska Railroad Talkeetna AK
249 Tryck, Blanche and Oscar, House The Blanche and Oscar Tryck House is a historic house on North Knik Street (at the northwest corner with the Parks Highway) in Wasilla, Alaska. Built sometime before 1916 at Knik, it was the first house in Wasilla when the community was established, moved there by the Trycks in 1917. It is a single-story wood frame structure, roughly rectangular in shape, with a concrete foundation and a corrugated metal gable roof configured to capture rainwater for laundry and other uses. It has a brick chimney and a root cellar, and has been vacant since Oscar Tryck died in 1964. 61.5813300,-149.4439200
Map
North Knik St., bet. the Parks Hwy/Alaska RR and E. Herning Ave. Wasilla AK
250 Whitney Section House The Whitney Section House, also known as Whitney Station, is a historic railroad-related building in Wasilla, Alaska. It is a single-story wood frame structure, which was built in 1917 by the Alaska Railroad. It originally stood at mile 119.1, about 4.8 miles (7.7 km) north of Anchorage Station, and was one of a series built by the railroad and located at roughly ten-mile intervals. The area where it stood was taken by the federal government for Elmendorf Air Force Base, and was rescued from demolition by the local chapter of the National Railroad Historical Society. It now stands on the grounds of the Alaska Museum of Transportation and Industry in Wasilla, and has seen a variety of uses. 61.5772500,-149.5433000
Map
3400 W. Neuser Dr. Wasilla AK
251 Knik Site The Knik Site, also known as the Old Knik Townsite, is the location in Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska that was once home to the largest settlement on Cook Inlet. The only surviving remnants of the community are a former log roadhouse, now a museum operated by the Wasilla-Knik Historical Society, and a log cabin. The Knik area had long been a meeting point of Native Alaskans, and in 1898 it became the principal community on Cook Inlet from which goods were shipped into the interior. In 1916 the Alaska Railroad reached the site of present-day Anchorage, bypassing Knik and leading to Anchorage's growth. When the railroad reached Wasilla, Knik lost all importance as a transshipment point, and its buildings were either abandoned or moved to one of the other communities. Knik is located about 13 miles (21 km) southwest of Wasilla. 61.4574800,-149.7310800
Map
About 15 mi. SW of Wasilla, Knik Rd. Wasilla AK
252 Wasilla Depot The Wasilla Depot was built in 1917 in Wasilla, Alaska. It was designed and built by the Alaska Engineering Commission, a federal agency charged with building Alaska's railways. The structure, located at the corner of Parks Highway and Main Street, was restored by the Lions Clubs and the Wasilla Chamber of Commerce. 61.5804100,-149.4405400
Map
Parks Highway and Knik Rd. Wasilla AK
253 Teeland's Country Store Teeland's Country Store, also known as Herning's and Knik Trading Company, is a historic retail establishment located at the corner of East Herning Avenue and North Boundary Street in Wasilla, Alaska. The oldest portion of this wood frame building is a log structure at the back whose construction dates to 1905. Originally located at Knik, this log structure, then also used as a store, was moved to the newly established town of Wasilla in 1917 by its builder, O. G. Herning. Herning also built the present utilitarian wood frame structure, which still operates today. The business was purchased by Walter Teeland in 1947, giving it its present name. 61.5823900,-149.4399100
Map
Mile 42 George Parks Hwy. and Knik Rd. Wasilla AK
254 Wasilla Elementary School The Wasilla Elementary School, located near the corner of East Swanson Avenue and North Boundary Street in Wasilla, Alaska is a historic one-room school that was built in 1917. It was Wasilla's first school, and served as its primary school until 1934 when a larger school was built. It is 22 by 36 feet (6.7 m × 11.0 m) in dimension. It was moved to its present location, in a historic park, shortly before its NRHP nomination in 1979. It had been located about three blocks away. After 1934 it was used again as a school overflow classroom and it also served as a community hall and for weddings, funerals and other events; it served as a Church of Christ for a number of years. 61.5828800,-149.4401000
Map
Off AK 3 Wasilla AK
255 Wasilla Community Hall The Wasilla Community Hall, also known as the Wasilla Museum, now hosting the Dorothy G. Page Museum, is located at 323 Main Street in Wasilla, Alaska. The museum is located in a log building constructed in 1931 to serve as a community center. The exterior of the building was left largely as-is when it was converted to a museum in 1967. The interior houses displays about the history of the city of Wasilla. 61.5826500,-149.4409500
Map
215 Main St. Wasilla AK
256 Old Willow Community Center The Old Willow Community Center is a historic community building on West Willow Community Center Circle, off mile marker 69.7 of the Parks Highway in Willow, Alaska. It is a single-story log structure, measuring 60 by 40 feet (18 m × 12 m), built out of local spruce. It is covered by a broad aluminum gabled roof; the gable ends are finished in wooden shingles. The interior consists of a single large chamber. The building was constructed in 1961 as part of a community drive for a meeting space that was more spacious than the local railroad station. In 1992, it was moved a short way south of its original location, where the new community center and library now stand. The building continues to be used for community events. 61.7444440,-150.0508330
Map
W. Willow Community Center Cir. Willow AK
257 Teller Mission Orphanage The Teller Mission Orphanage was a historic orphanage and mission house located at Corner of Post Officer Road and Tuksuk Street in Brevig Mission, Alaska. This small community was established in 1891 as a station for the importation of reindeer from Siberia to supplement the diet of the local Alaska Native population. The reindeer station was taken over in 1900 by the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran church, which also undertook to operate a school and orphanage at the site. The 1-1/2-story wood frame building was built in 1917, replacing the original orphanage built in 1907 by Rev. Toleef Larson Brevig, for whom the community is named. It was about 28 by 54 feet (8.5 m × 16.5 m), with a gable roof, weatherboard siding, and a metal roof. At the time of its listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, it had been standing vacant for about 20 years. The building is no more standing as of September 2015.[a] 65.3323700,-166.4861100
Map
Jct. of Shelman Creek Rd. and Mission St. Brevig Mission AK
258 Iyatayet Site The Iyatayet Site is an archaeological site and National Historic Landmark located on the northwest shore of Cape Denbigh on Norton Bay in Nome Census Area, Alaska. It shows evidence of several separate cultures, dating back as far as 6000 B.C. It was excavated starting in 1948 by J. Louis Giddings, the pioneering archaeologist of the area. It is significant as the type site of the Norton culture, representative of human occupation c. 500BCE-500CE, first described by Giddings in 1964. It is also significant for the Cape Denbigh Flint Complex, which lay underneath the Norton materials, and provides evidence of some of the earliest human activity in the region. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961. Address Restricted Cape Denbigh Peninsula AK
259 Fairhaven Ditch The Fairhaven Ditch is a historic canal on the Seward Peninsula of northwestern Alaska. Located in the Bering Land Bridge National Preserve, it is a 38-mile (61 km) ditch dug in 1906-07 without the benefit of heavy equipment in extremely hostile terrain. The ditch was dug by miners engaged in placer mining on the peninsula, and was used to transport water from Imuruk Lake, the largest body of fresh water on the peninsula, to mining areas north of the lake. It is one of a large number of such canals dug on the peninsula, and was one of the longest. At the bottom it was 11 feet (3.4 m) wide, and was hacked out of permafrost, a volcanic field surrounding the lake, and dirt. Cabins built to house workers and monitor water flow survive. The ditch was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Address Restricted Deering AK
260 St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Old Old St. Joseph's Catholic Church, now Old St. Joe's Hall, is a historic former church building at Anvil City Square in Nome, Alaska. 64.4998900,-165.4076800
Map
Bering and Seppala Sts. Nome AK
261 Swanberg Dredge The Swanberg Dredge is one of several gold mining dredges that dot the landscape near Nome, Alaska. Also known as the Johnson-Pohl Dredge, this one is located at about mile marker 1 of the Nome-Council Highway just inside the city limits. The dredge stands in a pond about 200 feet (61 m) north of the highway in a small pond. It has a barge-like hull with a mostly single-story superstructure, and measures about 60 by 30 feet (18.3 m × 9.1 m), with a draft of 6 feet (1.8 m). Its metal frame bow gantry extends about 5 feet (1.5 m), and has a digging ladder 40 feet (12 m) long. The dredge was built in San Francisco, California, shipped to Nome, and placed in operation in 1946 by Walter Johnson. The economics associated with the cost of its construction and shipment, as compared to the price of gold, worked against Johnson, who only operated it for a single season before it was seized by a local bank. It has sat in place since then, typifying the sometimes hard-luck small-time mining operations of the area. 64.4926100,-165.3661100
Map
Mi. 1 Nome-Council Hwy. Nome AK
262 Anvil Creek Gold Discovery Site Cape Nome Mining District Discovery Sites is a National Historic Landmark located in Nome, Alaska. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1978. It is significant for its role in the history of gold mining in Alaska, in particular the Nome Gold Rush that began in 1899. 64.5537200,-165.4238200
Map
4.25 mi. N of Nome on Seward Peninsula at Anvil Creek Nome AK
263 Cape Nome Roadhouse The Cape Nome Roadhouse is the last remaining historical roadhouse on the Iditarod Trail. Built in 1900 to accommodate travelers to the Nome area during the Nome Gold Rush, it was soon expanded. It has a profile resembling that of a typical New England saltbox, although its main entrance is on what would normally be considered the side of such a building. Its oldest portion is a log structure, which was expanded with lumber wood framing, and the whole building is now covered with clapboard siding. It is the only structure surviving from the route of a 650-mile (1,050 km) delivery of diphtheria serum in 1925 achieved by a relay of dogsled teams. The roadhouse declined with the advent of aviation to the area, and was used as an orphanage, a military communications facility during World War II, and saw used in the later 20th century as a retail establishment. 64.4426100,-164.9772100
Map
E of Nome at Mile 14, Nome-Council Hwy. Nome AK
264 Lindblom, Erik, Placer Claim Cape Nome Mining District Discovery Sites is a National Historic Landmark located in Nome, Alaska. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1978. It is significant for its role in the history of gold mining in Alaska, in particular the Nome Gold Rush that began in 1899. 64.5861300,-165.4356500
Map
N of Nome Nome AK
265 Snow Creek Placer Claim No. 1 Cape Nome Mining District Discovery Sites is a National Historic Landmark located in Nome, Alaska. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1978. It is significant for its role in the history of gold mining in Alaska, in particular the Nome Gold Rush that began in 1899. 64.5970600,-165.4073100
Map
N of Nome at Snow Gulch Nome AK
266 Berger, Jacob, House The Jacob Berger House, also known locally as the Sally Carrighar House, is a historic Gold Rush mansion at 308 2nd Avenue in Nome, Alaska. It is a two-story late Victorian house, built in 1903-04 by Jacob Berger, a miner who had at least three major finds during the Nome Gold Rush. It was built out of high quality material brought to Nome from west coast ports, and was based on a pattern from an architectural pattern book, with special adaptations for Nome's harsh climate. The main block of the house has a hip roof above a shortened second story, and has a square projecting section in the front which has a full-height second story and is topped by a pyramidal roof. The house is also unusual for the period for the size and number of windows it has. 64.4992900,-165.4090800
Map
1st Ave. Nome AK
267 Cape Nome Mining District Discovery Sites Cape Nome Mining District Discovery Sites is a National Historic Landmark located in Nome, Alaska. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1978. It is significant for its role in the history of gold mining in Alaska, in particular the Nome Gold Rush that began in 1899. 64.5494300,-165.4127800
Map
Address unknown Nome AK
268 Discovery Saloon The Discovery Saloon is a historic building at 1st and D Streets in Nome, Alaska. Now a private residence, this two-story wood frame building with false front was built in 1901 by Max Gordon, who operated a high-end public establishment on the premises. It is the oldest commercial building in Nome, and one of the few to survive from Nome's gold rush days. It was converted to one of Nome's finest private residences in the 1940s. 64.4993600,-165.4147700
Map
1st and D Sts. Nome AK
269 Council City and Solomon River Railroad Council City and Solomon River Railroad is an abandoned railroad in the U.S. state of Alaska. Its name refers to Solomon River and the city of Council in the Nome Census Area. The railway operated from 1903 to 1907. The remains of the railroad at Mile 31 of the Nome-Council Highway, comprising three locomotives, two flat cars and a boiler, were listed as an historic district on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. 64.5461200,-164.4365700
Map
Mile 31, Nome-Council Hwy Solomon AK
270 Solomon Roadhouse The Solomon Roadhouse, also known as the Curran's Roadhouse, is a historic travel accommodation in northwestern Arctic Alaska. It is a two-story frame building located a short way north of the small community of Solomon, which is at the mouth of the Solomon River about 30 miles (48 km) east of Nome on the Nome-Council Highway. The roadhouse was built in 1904, during the days of the Nome Gold Rush, which brought many miners to the Solomon River as well, resulting in the establishment of the communities of Solomon and Dickson, and the construction of a railroad. After the gold rush declined and the communities were devastated by storms and floods, the roadhouse and other buildings were relocated about a mile north of the coast in the 1930s. The roadhouse operated until the 1970s. 64.5587400,-164.4427900
Map
Nome-Council Hwy. Solomon AK
271 Gambell Sites The Gambell Sites are five archeological sites which established a chronology of over 2000 years of human habitation on St. Lawrence Island near Gambell, Alaska. Address Restricted St. Lawrence Island AK