Book a Tour, Activity, or
Watch a Virtual Tour

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
2 Adak Army Base and Adak Naval Operating Station Naval Air Facility Adak (IATA: ADK, ICAO: PADK, FAA LID: ADK), was a United States Navy airport located west of Adak, on Adak Island in the U.S. state of Alaska. After its closure in 1997, it was reopened as Adak Airport. The facility was designated a National Historic Landmark for its role in World War II, although most of its elements from that period have been demolished or lie in ruins. 51.8816670,-176.6480560
Map
Roughly bounded by Cape Adagdak, Scabbard Bay, and Shagak Bay Adak Station AK
3 St. Alexander Nevsky Chapel St. Alexander Nevsky Chapel is a historic Russian Orthodox church chapel in Akutan, Alaska, United States. Now is Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 54.1333330,-165.7750000
Map
In Akutan Akutan AK
4 Temnac P-38G Lightning The Temnac P-38G Lightning is a historic military aircraft, now on display at Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson. It is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning, military serial number 42-13400, which entered service in the United States Army Air Forces at what was then known as Elmendorf Field in 1942, during World War II, and was assigned to the 54th Fighter Squadron. In January 1945 it was taken out on a training mission over the western Aleutian Islands by 2d Lt. Robert Nesmith. While flying low over the Temnac River valley on Attu Island, Nesmith experienced fluctuations in one of the engines, and was forced to put the aircraft down. He crash-landed the aircraft in the valley without injury to himself. 61.2483330,-149.8019440
Map
Address Restricted Aleutian Islands AK
6 Japanese Occupation Site, Kiska Island The Japanese Occupation Site on Kiska island (along with Attu Island) in the Rat Islands group of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska is where the Japanese Navy attacked and occupied United States territory during World War II. The Japanese built defenses and other infrastructure on the island before abandoning it in 1943 after losing the Battle of Attu. American and Canadian forces reoccupied the abandoned island, and departed the island in 1946. Now a part of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, the central portion of the island, where these military activities were concentrated, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. 51.9847220,177.5294440
Map
Kiska Island Aleutian Islands AK
8 Atka B-24D Liberator The Atka B-24D Liberator is a derelict bomber on Atka Island in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. The Consolidated B-24D Liberator was deliberately crash-landed on the island on 9 December 1942, and is one of only eight surviving D-model Liberators (including partial and derelict aircraft). The aircraft, serial no. 40-2367, was built in 1941, and was serving on weather reconnaissance duty when it was prevented from landing at any nearby airfields due to poor weather conditions. The only casualty of the crash landing was Brigadier General William E. Lynd, who suffered a fractured collarbone. Address Restricted Atka AK
9 Holy Resurrection Church The Holy Resurrection Church in Belkofski, Alaska is a historic Russian Orthodox church. 55.0869440,-162.0322220
Map
In Belkofski Belkofski AK
10 Cape Field at Fort Glenn (Umnak Island) Cape Field at Fort Glenn was a military site significant for its role in World War II. It consists of Fort Glenn, an airfield of the United States Army Air Corps later renamed Cape Air Force Base, and the adjacent Otter Point Naval Air Facility, both located on Umnak Island in the Aleutian Islands of southwestern Alaska. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987. 53.3772220,-167.8894440
Map
NE section of Umnak Island Fort Glenn AK
11 Chaluka Site The Chaluka Site is a prehistoric archaeological site and National Historic Landmark in Nikolski, Alaska, on Umnak Island in the Aleutian Islands of southwestern Alaska. The site documents more than 4,000 years of more-or-less continuous occupation of the area now occupied by the modern village of Nikolski. The site includes a large midden, yielding much information about the origins of the Aleut people. Address Restricted Nikolski AK
12 Anangula Archeological District The Anangula Site (also Anangula Archeological District and Ananiuliak Island Archeological District) is an archaeological site in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. Located on a 1.5 miles (2.4 km) long island off the western coast of Umnak Island, it lies 3.1 miles (5.0 km) north-northwest of Nikolski Bay. The site documents one of the earliest known human settlements in the Aleutian Islands, dating to c. 6400 BCE. It was in the 1970s believed to be a remnant of people thought to have migrated here across the land bridge from Asia. Address Restricted Nikolski AK
13 St. Nicholas Church St. Nicholas Church is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Nikolski, Alaska, which is located at the southern end of Umnak Island. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 52.9383330,-168.8616670
Map
In Nikolski Nikolski AK