Book a Tour, Activity, or
Watch a Virtual Tour

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
126 Porcupine District Porcupine is a ghost town and former mining community in Haines Borough, Alaska. It is located about 1 mile (1.6 km) southwest of Mile 35 of the Haines Highway, across the Klehini River. Gold was discovered along Porcupine Creek in 1898, and a seasonal community sprang up in the area. Due to the transient nature of the population, permanent structures were only gradually added to the area. At the time the Porcupine District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, about 25 structures were still standing in the area, in various stages of decay. Most of these were built during the period 1927-36, when the Sunshine Mining Company was the largest operator in the area. 59.4222220,-136.2372220
Map
W of Haines at Mile 35, Haines Hwy. Haines AK
128 Mayflower School The Mayflower School, now known as Juneau Montessori School, is a historic school building at St. Ann's and Savikko Streets in the Douglas part of Juneau, Alaska. It is significant as the only surviving historic Native school building in the Juneau-Douglas area. It is also the only Colonial Revival style BIA school in Alaska. Its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 asserts the school was "a source of great pride to the Douglas Native community" and that it "represents a significant tie with the past for many Douglas Native people.":3 58.2752900,-134.3923500
Map
St. Ann's and Savikko Sts. Douglas AK
129 MacKinnon Apartments The MacKinnon Apartments are a historic apartment building at 236 Third Street in Juneau, Alaska. It is a three-story wood frame structure, finished in stucco, with corner quoining and a dentillated cornice. When originally built in 1925, it was 80 feet (24 m) long and housed six single-bedroom and 12 studio apartments. In 1959 another 20 feet (6.1 m) were added, housing another five studio units. The building is a representative of Juneau's boom years in the 1920s, when the local gold rush peaked. 58.3019440,-134.4083330
Map
236 Third St. Juneau AK
132 Juneau Memorial Library The Juneau-Douglas City Museum is located at the corner of 4th and Main, opposite the Alaska State Capitol in Juneau, Alaska. It occupies a building which was built in 1950-51 to house the Juneau Memorial Library. It is a two-story Classical Revival structure built out of concrete with red marble trim elements. A gable-roofed projecting section at the center of the long wall provides the main entrance, which is recessed in an opening the full height to the pediment. This projecting section is flanked by banks of five metal-framed awning windows. The northeast facade has a gable pediment similar to that of the entry projection, below which is a large rectangular window, behind which a stained glass decoration has been installed. The building served the city as its library until the 1980s, at which time it was repurposed to house the city museum. 58.3019440,-134.4113890
Map
114 W. Fourth St. Juneau AK
133 Rudy--Kodzoff House The Rudy-Kodzoff House is a historic house at 2865 Mendenhall Loop Road in Juneau, Alaska. It is a concrete structure with Craftsman/Bungalow styling, built in 1915 for Charles Rudy, one of the first settlers of the Mendenhall Valley. It is the only surviving building of that period in the valley. It presently houses the offices and owner's residence of a mobile home park developed by Kodzoff family. 58.3747220,-134.5816670
Map
2865 Mendenhall Loop Rd, C-0 Juneau AK
135 St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church The St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church (Russian: Церковь Святого Николая) in Juneau, Alaska, United States, was built in 1893 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Now it is under Diocese of Alaska of the Orthodox Church in America 58.3030560,-134.4091670
Map
326 5th St. Juneau AK
136 Alaska Governor's Mansion The Alaska Governor's Mansion, located at 716 Calhoun Avenue in Juneau, Alaska, is the official residence of the Governor of Alaska, the First Lady or Gentleman of Alaska, and their families. It was designed by James Knox Taylor. The Governor's Mansion was first occupied in 1912 by Territorial Governor Walter Eli Clark. 58.3027200,-134.4149000
Map
716 Calhoun St. Juneau AK
137 Wickersham House The House of Wickersham, also known as the Wickersham State Historic Site, is a historic house at 213 7th Street in the Chicken Ridge area of Juneau, Alaska. It is a historic house museum operated by the state of Alaska, memorializing the life of James Wickersham (1857-1939), an influential political leader in Alaska in the early 20th century. The house, a 2-1/2 story frame structure, was built in 1899 by Frank Hammond, owner of a mining company. It was purchased by Wickersham in 1928 and remained his home until his death. The house has been operated, informally at first by Wickersham's niece, as a museum since 1958. The house was purchased by the state in 1984. 58.3036110,-134.4113890
Map
213 7th St. Juneau AK
139 Alaskan Hotel The Alaskan Hotel and Bar, also known as the Northlander Hotel and The Alaskan, is a historic establishment and the oldest operating hotel in Juneau, Alaska, its opening dating back to 1913. The owners, three miners who struck it rich in the nearby Coast Range, tied the hotel's keys to a helium balloon and released it, signifying that the hotel would never close. The building was briefly condemned in the 1970s, but was rehabilitated by new owners. 58.3002780,-134.4050000
Map
167 S. Franklin St. Juneau AK
140 Alaska Steam Laundry The Alaska Steam Laundry is a historic commercial building at 174 South Franklin Street in Juneau, Alaska. It is a Late Victorian wood-frame structure, with a prominent turret that has a conical roof. Built in 1901, it is a well-preserved element of the transition of Juneau from a mining camp to a more cosmopolitan city (it was named the territorial capital in 1900). It was built by E. R. Jaeger, who envisioned the laundry as a profitable business serving single miners working the nearby gold mines. The laundry facilities were housed on the ground floor, with residences and office space above. The laundry operated here until 1929, when it was moved to new premises in the city, and this building was converted to other commercial uses. 58.3000000,-134.4052780
Map
174 S. Franklin St. Juneau AK