Book a Tour, Activity, or
Watch a Virtual Tour

#Id Name Image Description Geolocation Address City State
38 David, Leopold, House The Leopold David House is a historical building located at 605 West Second Avenue in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a 1-1/2 story bungalow-style house with a wooden frame structure. It features a front-gable roof and dormers. The front facade is divided into two sections: the left with a projecting bay section, and the right with a gabled porch. The roofs have deep eaves with Craftsman-style brackets. The house was built about 1917 for Leopold David (1878-1924), an early resident of Anchorage and its first mayor, elected in 1920. It is one of the best-preserved houses of the period in the city. 61.2208330,-149.8938890
Map
605 W. Second Ave. Anchorage AK
39 Kimball's Store Kimball's Store, also known as Kimball Building, was a historic retail establishment at 500 and 504 West 5th Avenue in downtown Anchorage, Alaska. The dry goods store operated at the same site from 1915 to 2002, and its two-story wood-frame building is the only commercial building to survive at its original location from the period of Anchorage's founding. The store was established by Irving L. Kimball, who had been trading in Arctic communities of Alaska since 1897, and was operated afterward by his daughter until her death in 2002. 61.2175000,-149.8916670
Map
500 and 504 W. Fifth Ave. Anchorage AK
40 KENI Radio Building The KENI Radio Building is an Art Moderne building in Anchorage, Alaska, designed by architect Augustine A. Porreca and completed in 1948. The building housed KENI AM, the second radio station in Anchorage. 61.2052780,-149.9252780
Map
1777 Forest Park Dr. Anchorage AK
41 Wendler Building The Wendler Building is a historic commercial building at 400 D Street in Anchorage, Alaska. Built in 1915 by Tony and Florence Wendler, it is the oldest commercial building in the city. Originally located at 4th and I Streets, it was moved to its present location in 1985. It was used by the Wendlers as a store until 1920, after which Florence Wendler converted it to a boarding house. In 1948 she and her daughters opened Club 25, an exclusive private club for women. It was eventually opened to general membership, and was for many years a landmark of the city's social scene. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. 61.2183330,-149.8897220
Map
400 D St. Anchorage AK
42 A. E. C. Cottage No. 23 The Alaska Engineering Commission Cottage No. 23, also known as DeLong Cottage, is an historic house at 618 Christensen Drive in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a 1-1/2 story wood frame structure, with a gable roof and porch extending across its front. It was designed and built in 1916 by the Alaska Engineering Commission (A.E.C.), the federal government project to build the Alaska Railroad. Of the surviving cottages built by the commission, it is the least-altered and best-preserved. 61.2200000,-149.8944440
Map
618 Christensen Dr. Anchorage AK
44 Alaska Engineering Commission Cottage No. 25 The Alaska Engineering Commission Cottage No. 25 is a historic house at 345 West Third Avenue in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a two-story wood frame structure, with a low-pitch gable roof that has wide overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails. It was designed and built in 1917 by the Alaska Engineering Commission, a Federal agency charged with building railways in Alaska. It is one of the second set of such housing built by the commission, and is now owned by Anchorage Historic Properties. 61.2197220,-149.8952780
Map
645 W. Third Ave. Anchorage AK
45 Site Summit The Nike Site Summit (or just Site Summit) is a historic military installation of the United States Army in Anchorage Borough, Alaska. The site, located in the Chugach Mountains overlooking Joint Base Elmendorf–Richardson, is the location of one of the best-preserved surviving Nike-Hercules missile installations in the state. The site's structures include a battery control area, a missile launch area, and several magazines. Units of the 43rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, USARAL Artillery Group, United States Army Alaska, would have garrisoned the site. The site was built in 1957-58 and equipped with missiles in 1959. The site was in active service defending the United States from the threat of Soviet air strikes until it was decommissioned in 1979, after which sensitive militarily equipment (including missiles, radar equipment, and launch control equipment) was removed. The U.S. Army maintained the site into the 1980s before abandoning it. The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. A local non-profit group, Friends of Nike Site Summit, is actively attempting to preserve the site. 61.2519440,-149.5397220
Map
Off Arctic Valley Rd., 12.5 mi. E of Anchorage Anchorage AK
47 Anchorage Hotel Annex The Anchorage Hotel is a hotel located at 330 E Street in Anchorage, Alaska. The original Anchorage Hotel building was built in 1916; the current hotel building, which was constructed as an annex to the hotel, opened in 1936. C.B. Wark built the first hotel building; while the building was originally a wood frame structure, Frank Reed upgraded the building to a luxury hotel in 1917. The hotel outgrew its original building due to Anchorage's growth in the 1930s, so the Anchorage Hotel Annex was built in 1936 to house additional guests. The annex, designed by E. Ellsworth Sedille, had a Gothic design and was one of the tallest buildings in Anchorage at the time. Guests at the hotel included Warren Harding, Harold L. Ickes, Walt Disney, Wiley Post, and Will Rogers; the latter two stayed at the hotel only two days prior to their deaths in a plane crash. In addition, artist Sidney Laurence lived in the hotel for parts of the 1920s and 1930s; Laurence once exchanged a painting of Mount McKinley for a year's rent at the hotel. 61.2188890,-149.8916670
Map
330 E St. Anchorage AK
49 Spring Creek Lodge The Spring Creek Lodge is a historic former restaurant at 18389 Old Glenn Highway in the Chugiak area of Anchorage, Alaska. Vernon and Alma Haik built the Spring Creek Lodge in 1949. It served as an essential eatery and community center in southcentral Alaska from 1949 to 1974. The lodge was famous for its homemade bread and banana cream pies, and it was the place to go for a hearty Sunday dinner. For 25 years, the lodge served homesteaders, hunters from the Matanuska Valley, and military personnel from the Elmendorf Air Force Base and Fort Richardson in Anchorage. The lodge stands at Mile 20 on the two-lane Palmer Highway (now called Old Glenn Highway) halfway between Palmer and Anchorage. It also served as the first community center for the early settlers of Chugiak. On September 9, 2001, the Spring Creek Lodge was inducted to the National Register of Historic Places "in recognition of its contributions to the cultural heritage of Alaska." The restaurant was a local landmark until its location was bypassed by the new Glenn Highway in 1969, after which it closed. 61.3911110,-149.4675000
Map
18939 Old Glen Hwy. Chugiak AK
50 Old St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church Old St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, also known as the Eklutna Chapel, is a historic Russian Orthodox church in Eklutna, Alaska. It is about one mile inland from the Knik Arm of the Cook Inlet. 61.4605560,-149.3616670
Map
Eklutna Village Rd. Eklutna AK